Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has My Computer or Phone Been Hacked?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:08 AM

Hi. At least one friend has received a spam email from my email account and my Uber password was changed. To me that indicates that my computer and/or my phone was hacked. I rechanged my Uber password and am changing all my other passwords. My laptop has Microsoft Security Essentials running. Could it be that just my phone was hacked?

What steps should I take?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

It is unclear to me whether that "spam e-mail" was telling your friend that your Uber password was changed or if it is completely separate.

If it is completely separate, how did you get into your Uber account to change it to something else?

Depending on the exact circumstances this could be one of the typical bogus phishing messages.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

If you received an email telling you your Uber password was changed and you clicked on a link in that email that you THOUGHT

was a link to your Uber account....then you have really messed up...big time. NEVER click on a link in an email that you THINK is

a link to an account. Always use a different route to access your accounts.

As britechguy points out....how did you get into your Uber account to change it to something else?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

Here's the sequence of events.

1. I received an email from a friend asking if I had sent an email related to weight loss and Saffflower Oil. I had not sent such an email.I was concerned that I had been hacked.

2. Then I received an email from Uber saying that my password had been changed. I had not changed it.

3. I then logged onto the Uber web site to see what to do about hacking. It instructed me to use the "forgot password" on the help section of the Uber app and reset my password. I did so.

4. I did not click on the link in the email.

5. After setting a new Uber passworld I checked my account and then all other banking, etc. accounts. No strange activity but I changed passwords anyway.

I now suspect that the email about my Uber account being changed was a phising expedition but the email my friend received still puzzles me.

I think iPhones are hard to hack. But I changed my passcode anyway.

Any other actions I should take?

Thanks again.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

Most likely someone has spoofed your email address. It is very unlikely that your email account has been compromised...hacked.

That is not at all unusual and the criminal that sent the email to your friend will move on to using another address/ IP as the one he used

will be black listed/ blocked by spam filters in a week or two.

I doubt the two emails are related...being sent by the same criminal spammer.

Good you were experienced/ informed enough not to fall for that phishing attempt. Many get taken in by those criminals.

Someone's Sending from My Email Address! How Do I Stop Them?! - Ask Leo!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

Thanks very much for your help.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

I will reiterate part of what buddy215 has already said, but with a slight twist:   The vast majority of e-mails like your friend received, seemingly from you, are created via spoofing.  Your e-mail address is "out there" if you've been using e-mail for any period of time, and there are myriad ways for others to obtain it.

I routinely ignore these messages when they come in "from friends" and no longer notify anyone when I receive them because the probability of it being from an actual account compromise and it being "real" are vanishingly close to zero.

Everything else you did just right.  I can't say that I never use click-through links in e-mail that I recognize as legitimate from companies I do business with, but when it comes to things like "your password has been changed" messages, and I know I have not done this, I navigate directly to the site in question to do further investigation and, often, to report spoofing/phishing with said message.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:49 AM

Thanks britechguy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users