Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender 2018 blocked Emsisoft a2hooks32.dll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrC0f33

MrC0f33

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:29 AM

Greetings,

Recently, I have been wanting to try out Emsisoft Anti-Malware and proceeded to follow the instructions listed on the following page:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/how-to-use-emsisoft-anti-malware-tutorial

However, once I have installed and updated Emsisoft, Bitdefender Internet security immediately blocked a2hooks32.dll as a trojan as illustrated in the screenshot attached with this thread.

I know this may probably be a false positive but for peace of mind, I then proceeded to uninstall Emsisoft by using Geek Uninstaller (which failed), and also uninstalling it via control panel (which also failed). Finally, google results show that it can only be uninstalled through the provided uninstaller and that seem to do the trick. 

Attach with this thread is the logs of my FRST and MiniToolBox. May I kindly request that experts in this forum check if everything is okay with my laptop?
Are there any remenants of Emsisoft in my system? Are my DNS server legit?

I have ran Rkill, then Zemana Scan, then Malwarebytes Scan (with archieve and rootkit scan enabled), then Adwcleaner Scan, and finally Hitmanpro Scan; all of which found nothing. Overnight Bitdefender Full System Scan also revealed nothing.

I am hoping that the experts in this forum may put my mind at ease.

Thank-you 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 40,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Your logs are clean.

Bitdefender was probably identifying a fase positive. It's not al all re-commended to have 2 Anti-virus software running in real time.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide best security practices keep safe.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

#3 MrC0f33

MrC0f33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Your logs are clean.

Bitdefender was probably identifying a fase positive. It's not al all re-commended to have 2 Anti-virus software running in real time.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide best security practices keep safe.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

Dear Nasdaq,

Thank-you very much for the reply.
So there is no Emsisoft remnants on my laptop hence I can safely assume then Emsisoft was properly removed?
So my Laptop is free from infections?

Thank-you

p.s. I was tempted to try Emsisoft was because I've read that one should always used a layered approach when it comes to AV. Hence me running:

Bitdefender IS 2018 (Premium)
Malwarebytes (Premium)
Zemana (Free)
Hitmanpro (Free)

Is this overkill? 

Edited by TechN3wb, 15 August 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#4 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 40,182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hi,

These programs work well together. No prolems.

Malwarebytes (Premium)
Zemana (Free)
Hitmanpro (Free)

Me personnallyi I would only enable Bitdefender and Malwarebyres.

If all is well.

#5 MrC0f33

MrC0f33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:00 PM

Hi,

These programs work well together. No prolems.

Malwarebytes (Premium)
Zemana (Free)
Hitmanpro (Free)

Me personnallyi I would only enable Bitdefender and Malwarebyres.

If all is well.

Alright. Thank-you once again for your kind assistance.
Since all is well, may I kindly request that this thread be closed?

Thank-you very much.

#6 MrC0f33

MrC0f33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:40 AM

By the way, just before you close this topic, may I kindly also know if it is possible, from my FRST logs, to determine how many user accounts are currently present on my computer  also do I have home group enabled ?

If it is impossible to do so with my logs, are there any other method to discover the number of accounts on my win 10 laptop?

Thank-you

#7 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 40,182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hi,

if it is possible, from my FRST logs, to determine how many user accounts are currently present on my computer

From your Addition.txt log.

==================== Accounts: =============================

Administrator (S-1-5-21-1660722890-1684732902-1681496608-500 - Administrator - Disabled)
DefaultAccount (S-1-5-21-1660722890-1684732902-1681496608-503 - Limited - Disabled)
Guest (S-1-5-21-1660722890-1684732902-1681496608-501 - Limited - Disabled)
Tham Yee Shung (S-1-5-21-1660722890-1684732902-1681496608-1001 - Administrator - Enabled) => C:\Users\Tham Yee Shung

===

also do I have home group enabled ?

Hope this will help.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27091/how-to-disable-or-enable-the-homegroup-feature-in-windows-7/

#8 MrC0f33

MrC0f33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

Thank-you once again for the reply Nasdaq.

You may proceed to close this thread.

Thank-you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users