Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I know my libraries are backedup?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 t44

t44

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

Hello,   I am knew to the forum.  I am inquiring about computer backup. I plug an external drive into my desktop PC for backup.  I have instructed the backup to include my libraries...  which should include my photos and video files (family keepsakes).  After I backup, I go to the external drive (external drive F:) and look at the files and see "Backup_2016-05-08 134347".  I just backed up the system today 8/14/2017... so I'm not sure if the backup file title should show the new backup date?  That is question one, now my main concern:  I can't open the backup file (only option is restore) so I don't really know if my library files are there and safe.  Is there any way of knowing if the library files were included in the backup and that they are (should be) safe?  As a safety precaution, I manually selected all my library files and "sent" them to the external drive.  Maybe overkill?  I am concerned about using up all my storage space (3TB).  I have used 1.4TB of the 3TB drive with 1.3 TB free.  But I am currently transferring all my old VHS tapes to digital to give to my children, so I foresee needing much more storage.  FYI the backup file is 18.8GB... I can only assume the libraries are safe in backup.

Thanks and Regards... t44

Edited by t44, 14 August 2017 - 09:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

What are you using to do your backups?

In general, and depending on what you're using, you could start a restore and see what is available to you to restore, but not complete the restore if it's not needed.

It's impossible to give a specific answer unless the utility you're using for backup/restore is known.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 t44

t44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

Thanks.......

I am using windows 7 backup and restore.  The external drive is a 3TB toshiba.

If I start restore... will it show what is a available, start the restore immediately upon clicking, or is cancel restore still possible?

Edited by t44, 14 August 2017 - 09:34 PM.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

What I do is to save 2 copies of everything I save on 2 different drives. It is redundant but if there's a failure I know I have a back up. Also I don't use my C drive for anything but the OS and antivirus. That way if I need to reinstall Windows which at some point you probably will my programs are on a different drive. Always keep an icon on your desktop and move it to the folder you stored the program in because not all programs will put an icon to launch in the program folder.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:32 PM

It has been so long since I last touched Windows 7 Backup & Restore I cannot answer your question with certainty.

Someone else who has used or still uses this software will almost certainly chime in.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

I certainly applaud the OP's backing up everything; OP is way ahead of the normal curve across The 'Net!

While I do not know anything about Windows Backup/Restore/Cloning utility, I do know OP can install and use any number of excellent 3rd party utilities and programs, naming just a few: EaseUS ToDo Backup, AOMEI Backupper, Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, Acronis True Image (ATI), and many more.  Many have free versions (and their respective paid versions) which work just fine, a few have only trial versions and their respective paid versions.  I've used ATI, Image for Windows, Macrium Reflect over the years -- and can advise as to features, benefits, etc.

I must have missed it, are you backing up a desktop or a laptop?  Reason for asking:  a few of the backup/restore utilities can lead to a laptop's proc and/or HD getting a little hot, I've been using a usb-powered external cooling fan assembly on each laptop for the last several years ('cause hot heat is an enemy of electronics).

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:34 AM

Scuttlebutt across The 'Net indicates many are happy with Windows built-in backup / restore / cloning utility, and many others are less than happy with Windows built-in b/r/c utility.  Because of the very mixed reviews and complaints, I've only gone with 3rd party b/r/c/ utilities.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 t44

t44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

I certainly applaud the OP's backing up everything; OP is way ahead of the normal curve across The 'Net!

While I do not know anything about Windows Backup/Restore/Cloning utility, I do know OP can install and use any number of excellent 3rd party utilities and programs, naming just a few: EaseUS ToDo Backup, AOMEI Backupper, Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, Acronis True Image (ATI), and many more.  Many have free versions (and their respective paid versions) which work just fine, a few have only trial versions and their respective paid versions.  I've used ATI, Image for Windows, Macrium Reflect over the years -- and can advise as to features, benefits, etc.

I must have missed it, are you backing up a desktop or a laptop?  Reason for asking:  a few of the backup/restore utilities can lead to a laptop's proc and/or HD getting a little hot, I've been using a usb-powered external cooling fan assembly on each laptop for the last several years ('cause hot heat is an enemy of electronics).

I am backing up desktop via usb to external Toshiba Hard drive.

I did open the backup file at the restore prompt.  I am given the option to restore a variety of backed up files; photos, videos, documents, etc.;  but that is far as I can view the files without actually restoring them.  I can not actually see/view the specific backup files under each category.  

I did transfer video from a VHS tape to my PC drive and I see that the files are not as big as I expected... one VHS worth of video was 1.8 GB.  I think I have plenty of space on the external drive to store all of the copied VHS tapes. 

I have also decided to buy some (maybe 128GB) thumb drives and store the copied tapes/digitized copies on those as an extra precaution.  Maybe thumb drives are not optimal way to store (speed-wise), but they are small enough that my children can conveniently carry their photos and videos with them in life.

Edited by t44, 16 August 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

This is just me, however, whatever I entrust to a flash drive, I entrust to two flash drives.  If one develops a logical failure leading to a format, the other one probably will remain in aok condition; it's rare for "twins" to fail at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users