Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start menu color

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hmazuji

hmazuji

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

does anyone know where to find / how to change the start menu color from white ?

i've looked and searched, and this problem doesn't seem to have a solution

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

It's a while since I have tried this in XP but I think if you RIGHT click on a blank piece of desktop - ie not on an icon - at the bottom of the pop-up menu you will see 'Personalise'. Select this and look at 'Themes' in the screen that appears. You can choose one of several built in themes which can be customised to an extent. If none of these meet your needs you can google for themes on-line.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:29 AM

Right-click on blank area of desktop and select Properties, then select the Appearance tab, then Colour Scheme drop down menu.

I just keep everything on the Windows Classic on my old XP machine.

You can access the same menu by opening Control Panel and selecting Display.

#4 hmazuji

hmazuji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

"Colour Scheme drop down menu"

the color doesn't have an option for the start menu.  only for generalized windows menues.

"look at 'Themes' "

i don't want a theme.  i already customized it the way i want.  the only customization that i haven't been able to find is the one for the start menu

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

The only options I see for the XP Start menu...do not pertain to colors, only to the contents/display of said Start menu.

Louis

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,981 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

Since I haven't had an XP system on which to test in years I'm not positive this may get you what you want, but:

http://www.nhs.uk/accessibilityhelp/Changing-colours-in-Windows-XP.html

or, if you dig into the specifics of the theme mentioned here to see how it does it:  http://www.askvg.com/change-look-n-feel-of-windows-xp-start-menu/

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 hmazuji

hmazuji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

Since I haven't had an XP system on which to test in years I'm not positive this may get you what you want, but:

http://www.nhs.uk/accessibilityhelp/Changing-colours-in-Windows-XP.html

or, if you dig into the specifics of the theme mentioned here to see how it does it:  http://www.askvg.com/change-look-n-feel-of-windows-xp-start-menu/

• VG

^^ Those colors and background images are shown by the theme.

• hamid

would you mind being more specific.
    if you would be more specific, then i would have been able to figure out how to do this from this thread:

Dhananjay Baraik
    How to change the start menu background image in XP using resource hacker?
    I wanna create a more stylish one other than the old rectangular menus.
    VG
    ^^ You'll need to edit .msstyles file of Windows theme using Resource Hacker. Check out C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\ folder.

but you are not saying what to edit. how do i change the white spaces to say, grey ?

#8 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

Post a screenshot of your Desktop with the Start menu displayed.  This might help others understand what you are wishing to do.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#9 hmazuji

hmazuji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:34 AM

Post a screenshot of your Desktop with the Start menu displayed.  This might help others understand what you are wishing to do.

An error occurred

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community

i'm not using an image extension.  i was posting a screenshot of my desktop.  so what is this ?

ok, here's an update, although i was not able to successfully persevere with vg's make xp look like win 7 modding walkthrough, i went as far as the dark theme, which then changed my menu to dark.  i was never able to manually change it, but the theme worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users