Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD upon closing browser

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 js10

js10

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

I've been having a BSOD problem that seems to be getting a bit more frequent/worse. The interesting this about this is that it does NOT occur at random times. Rather, it happens the moment when I've been using a browser for a while and then click the "X" to exit out of it. I've included an image here in case that helps. Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

Caution! Please read for more information.
Please only use the ZIP compression format — do not use 7z, RAR, etc.!!!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

Hi Bwv848,

Okay, I just downloaded the file and tried running it, but I immediately got the message that it doesn't support versions of Windows prior to Vista, and I'm running XP (yes, I know, I know -- but believe it or not, I really like XP -- in the not-too-distant future, I plan to go back to Mac, as I can't stand later versions of Windows). So, that being the case, is there an alternative tool I can use that accomplishes the same thing? Thanks.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

Hi,

Sorry I didn't look carefully. Can you then just zip and attach (to Bleeping Computer) the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump in your next reply?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

Okay, well, this is a bit weird. I did what you said and pasted it into this box and clicked "post," but a message popped up saying "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

???

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

You were supposed to attach .dmp files — NOT image files. :) To post a file, please click Reply to this topic on the top right-side of the page. Next, on the bottom, under Attach Files, click Browse..., then click Open, and finally Attach This File. To finalize and post your post, click Add Reply. Of course, make sure you zip the .dmp files before posting, or the forums won't allow you to upload it.

Regards,

bwv848

#7 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

Okay, so I'm supposed to save the individual dmp files one-by-one (there are about 15 of them) and them save them all as a zip file? That's fine, but I'll have to do that tomorrow at this point.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

Just copy/paste the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump to your Desktop and zip up the files from there.

#9 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

Okay, I'm an idiot. I see what I was doing wrong now. I thought you meant to paste that into my location bar and copy what appears on my screen. I figured out, though, that that refers to an actual folder in my system. I found it, zipped it, and attached it to this e-mail. So, hopefully back on track now. Sorry about that.

Attached Files

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

Hi,

It appears to be that your video drivers are the culprit. Can you try updating them? Since I know nothing about your system (only the motherboard model), you'll have to search for the drivers by yourself. Please download them ONLY from your system manufacturer's website—do not download them from any third-party driver sites!

Regards,

bwv848

#11 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

Uh oh. Unfortunately, that's going to make things fairly difficult, the reason being that this machine doesn't really have a manufacturer, as it's custom-built by a tech support rep who came to my house for an old computer and then offered to do so (for a price of course). Furthermore, that guy is no longer around. Two questions, then. 1. Is there any way to find the information I need without doing it manually (as in something I could just click on to tell me)? 2. Even if there's no way to fix it, from what you could tell, is there any way to at least avoid triggering it? Thanks again.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

No need to panic. I don't have any information about your computer, as we can't run the Sysnative File Collection App on XP. I presumed you knew the graphics card model and other system specs. :) Let's run Speccy, and I'll try to put you in the right direction:

:step1: Speccy by Piriform
  • Download and save Speccy from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the ZIP file.
  • Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
  • Open up the extracted folder, right-click on Speccy64.exe (or Speccy.exe, if your system is 32-bit), and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • After waiting a while, click File, then Publish Snapshot.
  • Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply.

#13 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

Okay, I got as far as the point in which I choose Run as Administrator, and then hit a snag. When I did this, a box popped up saying "Unable to log on: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced."

Never seen this message before. Any ideas? Thanks.

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

Sorry. XP doesn't have the Run as admin option. Just double-click instead.

#15 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Well, when I double-click on the Speccy64 file, I get another error message -- this one saying "Speccy64.exe is not a valid Win32 application," but your instructions gave some warning about that. When I click on the "plain" Speccy file, though, an application does open up and provide some info. Here's that URL -- hope this helps:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ddvm6vtek4WuSwko4G7fS5l

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users