Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant react with windows that are already open, Task bar only works.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Qwadd

Qwadd

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

Hello everyone! I have been having this issue for a small amount of time now. While using my computer, at any given moment. All windows become unresponsive/unclickable. Hovering over an option shows that my mouse is there, and is currently working but I am not able to interact with any of the windows. The only thing that works is the task bar, I can click on it, use my windows key and type into the search box. But I am not able to turn off my computer by clicking on the power button or access my computer admin account. Looking for a fix has been very difficult for me, Mainly because Im not sure how to describe my issue. If you need any further details, Please write back and I shall get back to you as soon as possible.

Specs are below

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i5 @ 3.40GHz   
RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1065MHz (
Motherboard
    ASRock B250M-HDV (CPUSocket)   
Graphics
    DELL ST2220L (1920x1080@60Hz)
    HP w1907 (1440x900@60Hz)
    HP S2031 (1600x900@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ZOTAC International)   
Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FBYS-02A6B0 (SATA)  
    223GB SanDisk SDSSDHII240G (SSD)

Edited by Qwadd, 14 August 2017 - 07:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Found this on the Microsoft website. Maybe this can help.

First temporarily disable security software and check. If it works then its your security software/softwares causing the issue.

Else, try the following and check if it helps.

1. Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open Task Manager.

2. On the processes tab , locate explorer.exe and select it,

3. then click 'end process' .

This should clear the desktop save the background.

4. Now move to the applications tab and click on 'new task'.

5. Type in explorer.exe and click OK to reload the desktop.

6. Try clicking on some icons and check if it works fine. If so, then you have something
loading at boot that is interfering with the desktop.

#3 Qwadd

Qwadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

Found this on the Microsoft website. Maybe this can help.

First temporarily disable security software and check. If it works then its your security software/softwares causing the issue.

Else, try the following and check if it helps.

1. Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open Task Manager.

2. On the processes tab , locate explorer.exe and select it,

3. then click 'end process' .

This should clear the desktop save the background.

4. Now move to the applications tab and click on 'new task'.

5. Type in explorer.exe and click OK to reload the desktop.

6. Try clicking on some icons and check if it works fine. If so, then you have something
loading at boot that is interfering with the desktop.

Hey, Thank you very much for the reply! I will try that once my issue arises again. As I said, It happens once and a while. Thanks! :D

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

The article also said that it can be caused by you antivirus software. If you're running Windows 10 and a third party antivirus program it could be the cause. Windows 10 doesn't play nice with 3rd party AVs.

#5 Qwadd

Qwadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

The article also said that it can be caused by you antivirus software. If you're running Windows 10 and a third party antivirus program it could be the cause. Windows 10 doesn't play nice with 3rd party AVs.

What do you suggest that I use? I'm currently running a version of Malwarebytes and adwcleaner.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

Those aren't antivirus software but AntiMalware programs. Windows 10 comes with Microsoft defender which if you didn't know then it's probably enabled. If you buy the new malwarebytes 3 version it also serves as an antivirus, anti ransomware, antiexploit and more. It's well worth the price.

#7 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:26 AM

Qwadd:

Just to clarify what HyperHenry has stated, Malwarebytes is not considered a replacement for an anti-virus program.  See this link and this link for more information.  Personally, I run both Bitdefender 2018 Total Security and Malwarebytes Premium.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#8 Qwadd

Qwadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Qwadd:

Just to clarify what HyperHenry has stated, Malwarebytes is not considered a replacement for an anti-virus program.  See this link and this link for more information.  Personally, I run both Bitdefender 2018 Total Security and Malwarebytes Premium.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Those aren't antivirus software but AntiMalware programs. Windows 10 comes with Microsoft defender which if you didn't know then it's probably enabled. If you buy the new malwarebytes 3 version it also serves as an antivirus, anti ransomware, antiexploit and more. It's well worth the price.

Hello guys, Thank you very much for the information and the help that you have provided me. My issue arose again, Only my firefox windows was accessible and clickable, I stopped explorer.exe using my keyboard only, and upon that being shut down. I was able to click on other tabs/windows and use my computer like normal. I will definetly look into Bitdefender 2018, and will invest the money into premium for Malwarebytes. What else could you suggest that would be messing with my explorer.exe? I've ran multiple malware scans (Malwarebytes, Hitmanpro, Combofix) Everything I could find mainly. and I havent been able to find anything that was suspicious or exciting.

#9 Qwadd

Qwadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

Hey anyone that may be reading this, The problem still arises and it's happening more frequently. I've done mostly everything that I can other than reinstalling windows, May that be my only option?

#10 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:42 AM

Qwadd:

Before you go to the time and effort of reinstalling Windows, you should check the integrity of the Windows OS files.

:step1: Please run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to assess the integrity of the Windows file system.

• Click on the "Start" button.
  • In the "search" box at the bottom, type cmd.
  • Look for Cmd.exe to appear at the top of the menu.
  • Right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Type sfc /scannow. Ensure that there is a space between "sfc" and "/scannow"
  • The scan will start and may take from 20 minutes to an hour to run.
  • Please report the results from the System File Checker in your next post. Does it report "No Resource Integrity Violations Found", "Errors Repaired", or "Unable to Repair", or words to that effect?
  • If System File Checker reports that some errors were corrected, and some errors were not corrected, please re-run the System File Checker again, as it does happen that it can not fix all of the errors detected in a single run.
  • If it again reports that some errors were corrected, and some errors were not corrected, please run it a third time.

If SFC reports uncorrectable errors, please immediately navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS, locate the file "CBS.log", and copy, not move it, to your Desktop. That file is "volatile", so we need to ensure that it is not overwritten with new results.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#11 Qwadd

Qwadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

garioch7:

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Above are the results from the scan.

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

Does the same thing happen to you if you are in safe mode?

Also as another avenue to check have a look at your context menu items to see if one of them is conflicting

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

#13 Qwadd

Qwadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:30 PM

opera:

I let my computer run in safe mode for a bit as a trial run, It didnt seem to have the issue arise during that time frame.

and the second part of your message, I don't fully understand to be completely honest.

How do I check to see if any of these items are conflicting with Windows?

Edited by Qwadd, 26 August 2017 - 05:32 PM.

#14 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

As it didn't happen in safe mode then it looks like a piece of software running on your machine in real time is conflicting.

About using Shellexview this is the best explanation (with pictures :) ) that I could find

https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-diagnose-pc-issues-using-shellexview/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users