Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

For the past four days or so, I've been getting really bad lag in FFXIV, and other online games (I also noticed this in PUBG last night) and when I used a speedtest site it said that my ping was over 900ms, and though it's since dropped to 191, i'm still experiencing lag of almost 2 full seconds in FFXIV. I've ran scans with malware bytes and Avast and besides PUPs that piggybacked off of repacked installers for MechWarrior, nothing came up.

What should I do? I'm thinking of running MiniToolBox to flush my DNS and see if that fixes the lag issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:55 PM

EDIT: I ran MTB to flush my DNS after making the post, and it worked for a short time before I started experiencing issues with discord and slight lag in FFXIV again. On advice from a friend, I ran a trace route between myself and discord's servers, which I'll post here if anyone needs it. I showed him the log and he said it was probably on my ISP's end. Does anyone know if AT&T is having problems or being DDOS'd?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Moved to Networking
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

long shot but always worth a try, reboot your modem and see if that helps.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

Please do post the traceroute

Also, do you connect by cable or wifi?

tfn

#6 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

Traceroute to where specifically? And I use wifi. I'd use cable but it'd be hard doing that cause I'm in the basement and we'd have to drill through the ceiling to get a cable down here; the walls down here are all brick and mortar.

#7 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

Traceroute to where specifically? And I use wifi. I'd use cable but it'd be hard doing that cause I'm in the basement and we'd have to drill through the ceiling to get a cable down here; the walls down here are all brick and mortar.

My apologies. Any traceroute will do, but do give vg.no a try

That way id be familiar with the last bit of the route :)

tfn

#8 whitehat1

whitehat1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

Are you still having this problem? FFXIV was getting massive DDoS attacks in July and August, so you could be a victim.

I know it's a month later, but would like to know if that was the problem or if it's something else.

Edited by whitehat1, 24 September 2017 - 09:53 AM.

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

That's part of the problem right there. Because you are in the basement you are experiencing absorption of your wifi signal. If a wifi signal does not bounce off an object, move around an object, or pass through an object, then 100 percent absorption has occurred.

Most materials will absorb some amount of wifi signals to varying degrees. Brick and concrete walls will absorb wifi signals significantly, whereas drywall will absorb a signal to a lesser degree. A 2.4 GHz wifi signal will be 1/16 the original power after propagating through a brick wall. That same wifi signal will only lose 1/2 the original power after passing through drywall material. Absorption is a leading cause of attenuation aka signal loss.

Just how far is your computer from your router?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users