Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth security

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

My laptop didn't have bluetooth, so I bought one of those bluetooth USB sticks (disk says it's a USB Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle). I am going to use it mainly for my wireless headphone.

I have a series of questions about that:

#1 - I heard in the past that if you keep your bluetooth on, hackers can easily hack your device. Is that true?

#2 - During the install process it says "please select the default settings for Harmony". I have the option to turn the discovery mode off & disable/enable SCMS-T. How should I install it for the best security?

#3 - Should I put the bluetooth folder in the exclusion list or put it in the trusted application list in Malwarebytes 3 or Kaspersky Total Security?

#4 - Do you recommend to turn bluetooth off when I don't need it to increase security?

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2017 - 06:49 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to General Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,322 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

#1 - Not really.  Since the range of bluetooth is typically less than or equal to 10m/33ft (though, in absolutely ideal conditions, could be as far as 100m/333ft) someone has to be very near to you, and your laptop needs to be discoverable at the time.  I don't consider having to be at close range like that "easily" able to gain access via bluetooth.  

#2 - I keep discovery mode off except when I need to pair devices.  With regard to SCMS (Serial Copy Management System, see BC thread here) it probably depends on whether you'll be using the device in some way with music protected with same.

#3 - you should not need to do either

#4 - Sure.  It can also save a bit of battery life (though very little) and why have any communications channel open if you are not using it at the time?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users