Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your opinion on a new computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

Hey, what do you guys think about the Lenovo V510 laptop as a first computer for someone who's never used a computer before? It comes at $600. It would be mainly used for light, regular tasks. My budget is $700.

CPU - 2.4Ghz Intel Core i3-7100U processor

RAM - 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz

SSD - 256GB

Screen - 15.6", 1080p Full HD

Is this good for the money? Are there any other better options for up to $700?

Thank you!:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Laptops Under $700 At Amazon

Louis

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hey, thanks, Louis!:)

#4 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:26 AM

CPU is slightly low range, but for those needs, it would be perfect.

Good SSD, good RAM, good price. (is that US dollars?)

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

Thank you for your help. Yes, that is all converted into US $. The laptop costs $600. My budget is $700. I will try a bit harder to find one with the same specs, but with an Intel Core i5 processor - I guess that would make for an uneventful experience for the person who would be using it. She hasn't operated a computer before, so I want things to go relatively smoothly. :)

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Just a thought...these retail machines come loaded to the gills with garbage-ware and trial ware. That stuff should be removed, and then the unit will start running at the speed it is supposed to, plus freeing-up gigs of space otherwise taken up by useless junkware. A lot of this trial-ware terminates at a certain date, and then just sits on the hard drive doing nothing and taking up space. For example, Microsoft is notorious for loading trial Office on the laptop, then it nags you to purchase a full license and shuts down after a time period expires.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

All the prices I have listed is for a laptop with FreeDOS, mate.:)

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

Ok - no problem there- but what programs are you going to run on DOS? 

You said:

She hasn't operated a computer before, so I want things to go relatively smoothly.

I assume that this is for someone else who is not computer-experienced. DOS commands are not easy to learn and use, and applications that run on DOS are antiquated. Evidently you are not going to run Windows?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

No, no, I am sorry, I misled you. Let me elaborate. Most new computers in Bulgaria (where I am going to purchase it from and use it in) are sold with FreeDOS preinstalled, which is the equivalent of buying a PC without an OS for almost all people, since almost everyone installs a copy of Windows after purchase one way or another. There are also buyers who prefer some Linux distros, so they install that. Also, of course, there are people who will do dual-boot or use ChromeOS, or some other OS, but these are a minority. I plan on installing Windows 10 after purchasing the laptop, as I have a copy of it. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 19 August 2017 - 05:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users