Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ddr In A Ddr2 Slot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 at5147

at5147

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:44 PM

I got a new motherboard that I though supported DDR and DDR2 memory. When I got the slot was just slightly off and the DDR memory would not fit. Here is the motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813138026

and the memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146549

The motherboard guide says it takes DDR. I am missing something or will this memory indeed not work with this motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

No, the motherboard only takes DDR2.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 at5147

at5147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:44 PM

Are the noches different between DDR and DDR2 different in the module?

Becuase in the manual, under installing memory under B it says DDR/DDR2 module.

ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/TFORCE%...CE550manual.pdf

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

Yes, the notches are different between DDR and DDR2.

Your right, it says DDR/DDR2 under B in the manual, but on every other place in the manual it says only DDR2. They probably were lazy and used the same table in many different manuals.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 at5147

at5147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

Okay, I just wanted to clear up the notches cause the guy who put it together said that DDR2 is backwards compatible with DDR. Thanks mate.

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

It could be that DDR2 sticks fit in DDR slots but not DDR sticks in DDR2 slots...

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:39 AM

DDR and DDR2 and both electrically and physically incompatible... and DDR and DDR2 will never be compatible with DDR3 (coming in a few short years)

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users