Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Device Consistent Connect and Disconnect Problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

Hey everyone.  I am posting here to address a problem that has been racking my nerves for the last couple of years.  My laptop computer's usb ports have been giving me all sorts of problems when it comes to dealing with phones, portable hard-drives, and other devices that required data transfer.  Almost every time, when I connect my phone or portable hardrive to one of my open ports, the computer with acknowledge something is plugged in, but then soon after make the sound that the device is disconnected.  And if it is not doing that, it will discoonect in the middle of a long data transfer sessions.  This problem has affected me to the point that I barely use my portable hard drive or phone to transfer data on because I have to transfer a little bit of data at a time instead of transferring the lump sum of data that I would like and leave the room without worrying about it disconnecting in the middle of the task.  I can't even use my 3.0 usb ports on my system because they present the problem even worse.  I have tried to get help before from here, but this problem has still continued when I first thought the issue was somewhat ressolved.  Link below:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620339/usb-ports-keep-connecting-and-disconnecting-my-connected-usb-devices/#entry4043966

Anyways, this problem has really gotten in the way of my productivity and the way that I prefer to use my PC.  I just want to know if this can be ressolved systematically or if the ports have malfuntioned and will eventually die out.  I would at least like closure for this issue.  Thank you for reading my post.

Miroku16

PC:

Laptop: Gigabyte P37-K

Operating system- Windows 10 64-bit x64 based (formerly upgraded from 8.1) 

Laptop: Gigabyte P37-K

Operating system- Windows 10 64-bit x64 based (formerly upgraded from 8.1) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

Make sure Selective Suspend is disabled. If that does not work then see the below video.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-turning-usb-devices

Be very careful doing the following shown in the below video. Remove the power and battery. Also use a non- conductive screwdriver or pick. I think perhaps you need to tighten up the connectors on the USB ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ruqSrkxNU

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 August 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#3 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

I have already tried the selective suspend at about a few weeks ago and it still didnt ressolve the issue.  Do I need to try the physical fix in the video or something else?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

Another software solution would be device cleanup cmd. Unzip Device Cleanup Command to a folder on the desktop. In the unzipped folder is a subfolder called X64. Copy this to the root of C: Detach all your external drives. Open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X > cmd as admin.

Type:

cd C:\X64

devicecleanupcmd *

This will delete all non-present devices that were previously attached. Sometimes drivers for other devices will conflict.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html

After cleaning up the devices attach your external hard drive and see if it stays connected. If not you could rule out Windows by booting a live linux disk to determine if the USB ports disconnect.

#5 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

I downloaded both the device cleanup tool V0.7.1 and Device Cleanup Cmd V0.6 from the link below, because I was not sure of what to use.  I checked the unzipped contents and could not find a x64 subfolder anywhere.  Am I missing something?

Edited by Miroku16, 14 August 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

I just downloaded the zip file devicecleanupcmd.zip and X64 was there.

Attached Files

#7 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

I see it now.  It may have gotten mixed up elsewhere on my desktop.  Is there another way to run cmd admin?  I keep getting a list of options that is not that when I hit windows key + x together.  I also copied the x64 inside the main section for c:, is that correct? Screen shots attached to confirm if correct.

Attached File  C copy.jpg   40.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  cmd image.png   232.98KB   0 downloads

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

I forgot that Windows 10 is now using Powershell which uses commands different than CMD. 

See Option One. Once the Switch is On then go back and run Command Prompt.

Edit:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22882-show-command-prompt-windows-powershell-win-x-menu-windows-10-a.html

I was able to use commands in Powershell to run the program. If you have issues getting Command Prompt by pressing Win key + X I can give the commands to run the exe file in Powershell.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 August 2017 - 09:53 PM.

#9 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

I beleive I entered everything correctly.  Please refer to the screeenshot to confirm.

Attached File  command process.jpg   42.5KB   0 downloads

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

Now at the prompt type

devicecleanupcmd *    <enter>

Make sure all usb devices except your mouse, keyboard, printer, or usb wifi dongle are detached.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 August 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#11 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

I did hit enter, which gave me all that stuff.  Do I need to go back and repeat that?  

At the moment, I attach my 3.0 portable hard drive and it hasn't disconnected yet and it has transferred nearly 100 gigs of data and has stayed attached for about 40 minutes now.  do you still want me to redo those steps?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

No, if you saw all the things being deleted you do not need to do it again. I wasn't sure if you completed the command or not. Hopefully it solves the problem.

Note: From the screenshot you posted it does not look like the command completed. After the command you should have seen quite a few items being deleted. There is a spaced between devicecleanupcmd and the asterisk. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 August 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#13 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

I will test all my ports and usb devices that I use day-to-day and let you know if something comes up. In the meantime, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate this. :) 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

Your Welcome, Fingers crossed.

#15 dcerisano

dcerisano

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:17 PM

USB is a fast changing standard. New USB devices can be very demanding on system resources.

1. Update your BIOS

2. Update or reinstall your USB drivers

3. Adjust SOC voltage in BIOS, if available (1.2V to 1.4V)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users