Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No 4 Pin Molex Connector on PSU?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

I have a Lenovo Ideacentre 710 desktop (Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) that came from Best Buy. Does anyone know if the psu has an available LP4 connector (4 pin, Molex Large Drive Power)? I took off the cover to look inside, but I didn't see an available connector. It doesn't mean it's not there, maybe it's hidden? I know the psu is proprietary, so that doesn't help. I wouldn't have picked the computer solely based on that, but I had no say in the matter.

I need/want to install a PCI Express to PCI adapter card so I can install a PCI card where there's only a PCIe slot. A customer review indicated the adapter isn't bus powered and requires the use of the LP4/molex connector. I'm actually not sure if I need the power connector or not. This stuff is so confusing.

I would've asked on Lenovo's forums, but I can't access them. They're so overbloated that I can't get the website to load with a super slow internet connection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

If you have an extra SATA power connector coming from the PSU you can get an adapter like the ones below to give you a Molex connector.

Single

Double

You can see from the below adapter it has one molex connector for power.

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card~PEX1PCI1

#3 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

That adapter is the one I'm considering purchasing. I contacted StarTech with some questions and didn't get much help. Why do I need to use the LP4/molex connector? Do PCI cards need more power than PCI Express cards?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

I am just hazarding a guess here but looking at PCIe at Wiki the PCIe x 1 slot uses 12v and 3.3v connections. PCI needs 12v and 5v which is what a molex connector will give.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users