Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations for "new" MacBook Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kiekiat

kiekiat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

Greetings everyone,

I'm a new member and my knowledge of computers is very limited so forgive me in advance for the many dumb questions I may ask on this forum.  I just bought a "new" refurbished MacBook Pro running Yosemite OS and a 2009 model.  I am about to leave in September on a 3-month trip to Asia and this is the first Mac I've ever owned so I'm slowly learning it and finding it a lot more frustrating to use than a PC, which I suppose is normal.  My question is what protective software should I install on the Mac to keep it safe during my travels.  I have never bought into the notion that Macs were completely safe from being hacked.

My questions:

1.  Should I install and antivirus and will the free Sopha (sp?) antivirus for Mac be enough? If not, what antivirus would you recommend I buy and install?

2.  Should I install Malware Bytes (for Mac) and would you recommend free or premium version?

3.  What other software would be useful to protect the Mac?  Any other recommendations?

Your help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

kiekiat :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

Personally, I don't use any software to protect any of my Macs. I did use Intego software, paid, at one time though. It never detected anything on my Macs the time I had it. I ended up uninstalling it after they wanted me to pay another yearly $100 subscription for it. I think they are just a waste of money and system resources. If you really need/want one I'd suggest you find a free one before paying for any AV software.

Do Macs get viruses, and do Macs need antivirus software?

Practicing safe computing is all you need to keep your Mac safe from Malware, trojans etc.

•  
  •  

#3 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

^^^ Agreed. I use Avast Security, the free Mac version, because it once found two things on my machine that shouldn't have been there. As was said, safe computing is the safest. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#4 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

When you say "Sopha", you mean Sophos Free, right?

Sophos Free has been really great in my experience; nice and lightweight and completely unobtrusive. Generally I've only needed it to check downloaded files I'll be sending to my Boot Camp partition, but it's always good to stay on the safe side these days, even though Mac malware isn't widespread--not widespread enough to need a secondary scanner like MalwareBytes, though.

Definitely recommend staying with Sophos if that's what you have :)

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 16 August 2017 - 01:00 PM.

#5 kiekiat

kiekiat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for your responses.  I do try to practice "safe" computing but wasn't sure if I'd be safe in Thailand and Philippines using the Mac on my upcoming trip, especially using public wifi.  I will download Sophos.  I do not plan on it but may have to access my bank accounts during the trip.  Is accessing one's bank account considered "safe" computing?  It sounds like the Mac is a hard machine to crack compared to a PC.  I feel a lot safer after reading your responses.  Thanks much! :)

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall tab > Turn On Firewall, then in Firewall Options select all three options whenever you are going to use any public wifi for your banking needs. As long as no one has physical access to your Mac, the built in firewall is all you need. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users