Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I scan/clean a 2nd hand iphone 4?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

My uncle decided to give me his Iphone 4. He has been using it for many years and doesn't know anything about computers and security.

I'm a bit of a security freak and it's going to be my first Iphone. is there a way for for me to scan it for any infections?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

Don't worry about viruses on an iPhone - they are famous for having little to none malicious software, since Apple filters everything through the App Store very tightly. What I would suggest you do, is doing a reset of the iPhone 4, so that it is in brand new condition. Also, don't forget to update it immediately after resetting it. Good luck! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 14 August 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#3 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:28 PM

Don't worry about viruses on an iPhone - they are famous for having little to none malicious software, since Apple filters everything through the App Store very tightly. What I would suggest you do, is doing a reset of the iPhone 4, so that it is in brand new condition. Also, don't forget to update it immediately after resetting it. Good luck! :)

Thank you for the response. I have heard that aswell. But I also heard that in rare cases it could get hacked. I know chances are slim but like I said, I am a security freak. Is there a way to be certain that it is not hacked? Fwiw, I'm using it in another country.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

I see. Well, apart from the things that I told you about, the best thing you could do is to go to the App Store and download and install the 3 most popular anti-virus and anti-malware apps. Run them and then delete them.:)

#5 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

Tomorrow I am finally going to receive the iphone. However, he has asked me to put all of the files on the iphone (pictures/videos/music) on an external harddrive before resetting the iphone. Is there risk in this? Because I just recently formatted my laptop and took many measures to make it infection free and am using Kaspersky Total Security and Malware Bytes 3.

Is there a safe way for me to put his files on my external hard drive?

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

There is a slight chance of an infection, of course. The best you could realistically do is once you attach the iPhone to your computer via a USB, to run a search on the iPhone with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes and then to transfer the files to anywhere else. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 18 August 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#7 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

There is a slight chance of an infection, of course. The best you could realistically do is once you attach the iPhone to your computer via a USB, to run a search on the iPhone with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes and then to transfer the files to anywhere else. :)

When I connect it with USB and right-click it, it does not give any option to scan it. Nor any folders or files inside it. But I think I'll just go ahead and trust it.

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

Well, I would just go ahead as well.:thumbup2:

#9 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

Ah I just found out that the iphone has been unlocked (for SIM), and therefore has been jailbreaked.

Also my cousin told me that apple no longer provides updates for iphone.

And since it's been jailbreaked, I can not factory reset it, because if I do, the phone won't work.

That means, even if I am careful with apps I download, maybe it's already infected when my uncle was using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users