Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RobynMoore

RobynMoore

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

My House Compaq desktop computer fails to boot. Everytime I power it on the fans spin really quickly and no image is displayed on screen.
I meant HP Compaq *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobynMoore

RobynMoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

https://goo.gl/photos/sgC18cWFo6JzEmE98

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbup2:

What operating system are you running?

Have you tried your monitor on another computer or a different monitor to determine if the monitor is the problem? 

Have you tried to boot into the BIOS to see if this works?

Edited by dc3, 14 August 2017 - 11:24 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RobynMoore

RobynMoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

I'm running Windows 10, yes the monitor works fine and I can't boot into anything nothing shows up and no power is outputted through the USB ports of the pc

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

Had you been having any problems before it failed (overheating, instability or anything of that nature) or did it stop working suddenly with no warning?  I note the CPU fan does not appear to be spinning as it sounds like the other fans are powering up.  This is not usual. It could be that the fan has failed (bearing or motor failed), which can sometimes cause issues with systems refusing to boot if a failed CPU fan is detected, or it could be that the fan is not getting power from the motherboard, which could be indicative of bigger problems...

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 RobynMoore

RobynMoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

No it has never failed previously without any warning and although it may look like it isn't in the video the CPU fan does actually spin, I'm beginning to think it may require new thermal compound though

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

If this problem was heat related, specifically the CPU overheating, the computer would not be able to immediately be turned back on.  It would need enough time for the CPU and heatsink temperatures to return to normal before you would be able to restart the computer.

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it one a DC scale?

When you have the case open do either the case fan and CPU heatsink fan spin when you turn the computer on?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

No it has never failed previously without any warning and although it may look like it isn't in the video the CPU fan does actually spin, I'm beginning to think it may require new thermal compound though

Perhaps it's a trick of the camera then but the fan on the heat sink below the metal grille appears static when I watched the video anyway.

dc3 mentions measuring PSU voltages which is helpful if you are able to. I would also suggest a simple thing to try is remove and firmly re-seat the memory modules. And same with any add on cards.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users