Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some windows programs will not open

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jjdykes86

jjdykes86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

In Windows 8.1, Windows control panel, Windows update and Windows media player will not open, as well as a couple of 3rd party dvd copy programs.  Six programs disappeared from Windows start up, including the free antivirus program I have used for years.  I ran McAfee Stinger, and the antivirus full system scan and neither found any problems, but since running the full scan the antivirus program will no longer open. I installed several Windows updates a couple of days before this started so I tried to restore to the day before, but system restore does not work either. Ideas and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

Try SFC, the System File Check command

Type 'cmd' in the search box (Note - type any commands without the ' '), at the top of the list searc will prodice you should see 'cmd.exe'. RIGHT click on this and select 'Run as Administrator'. A black box with white text will open with a blinking undelline cursor at the end of the text. Type 'SFC /SCANNOW' (note the space between SFC and /) then press Enter. The scan will start and run. It can take quite a while depending on your computer's capabilities but do not interrupt it. When it has finished re-boot and see if things are working better. If not, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jjdykes86

jjdykes86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Chris.  I entered cmd in the search box, right clicked on Command Prompt and chose Run as Administrator.  This resulted in the black screen with "C:\WINDOWS\system32>. There was no response after entering SFC /SCANNOW .  Was the Command Prompt screen where I should be?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

'SFC /scannow'. Did you put in the space between 'SFC' and '/scannow' ?  And then press 'Enter' ?  And yes, you were in the right place.

I know it works on Win 8.1, I had occasion to run it last week in an attempt to convince one of my laptops that it really did have a UK keyboard and not a US one.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 August 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#5 jjdykes86

jjdykes86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

This PC is performing as it should now.  Thanks very much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users