Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on Automatic Repair loop

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ScarXL

ScarXL

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

I needed to install a new monitor so I had to restart my pc a few times from its button but now it just gives me the "Preparing Automatic Repair" on every boot.

I cannot go to command prompt to fix the mbr says I dont have an admin account

My motherboard is ASRock H61M DGS R2.0

This was typed on phone I am in urgent need of help dont have installation CD so i cant reinstall windows is therr something else i can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

You may be able to reset Windows 10 with the option to keep your personal files but you would need to reinstall all your programs you installed after purchase.

If you have a restore point I would try that first.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Under Troubleshoot should be System Restore. Advanced Options can also get you to a command prompt.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

#3 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

I am making a recovery CD of Win 10 right now what can I do to fix this from cmd?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

See this video. If you have a GPT disk which I believe you do then there is no MBR. You can verify by opening a command prompt and typing 

diskpart

list disk

You should see an asterisk under the GPT column.

If you do you may have to rebuild the EFI boot partition per the below guide. The guide is for Windows 8 but the same steps are used for Windows 10. If rebuilding the EFI does not work then you may need to do a reset with the option to keep files or use the Media Creation Tool to create install media and do a clean install.

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

A log to look at is  \Windows\System32\LogFiles\SrtTrail.txt

The txt file will give a clue on why the Automatic Repair failed.

I am not sure if the Type command is available on the Rescue CD. If it is them navigate to the Logfiles directory and type 

Type Srttrail.txt | more

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following command will  fixes errors on the disk and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Chkdsk D: /r

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Posted Image

#6 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

Alright I ran the commands you suggested and am currently waiting for checkdisk to finish. I also typed the command "bcdedit /set {GUID} recoveryenabled No" to disable Automatic Repair.

I will update you once it's finished.

#7 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

It's still happening. Chkdsk returned no errors.

#8 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

New error though instead of automatic repair im getting this: http://prntscr.com/g8en68

#9 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

It said "/WINDOWS/system/config is missing or corrupted"

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

See this post by BC member FreeBooter. If the registry Hives in the Regback folder have a date before the problem then restoring the HIVES from the Regback folder may get the computer to boot.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/653223/windows-services-broken-after-aio-tweakingcom-repair-tool/?p=4300007

#11 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

It boots, did exactly that but now it restarts as soon as it reaches the user accounts and is stuck in a loop. Help?

Edited by ScarXL, 14 August 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

Use the Repair Disk to do a Startup Repair. It can take up to three attempts before the repair is complete.

#13 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

I did and it said that my systrm couldnt be fixed.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

Did you do the steps to repair the EFI loader I linked to if the disk was GPT? Post#4

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 August 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#15 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

Here is what it said in SrtTrail.txt:
Root cause found:
Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully.

All the tests were completed successfully with error code 0x0
The disk is MBR btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users