Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Invalid IP configuration" on a single machine

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

I've run across a circumstance where a new router has been installed and all machines except one that previously connected to the old router are working perfectly with the new one.

A single machine is giving an invalid IP configuration message whether connected to the new router via ethernet cable or wirelessly.

Any theories as to root cause and solution?

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

static ip setup on the one machine and conflicting with a DHCP assigned address?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

And how would I check whether the machine insists on having a specific IP?  I know how you can assign a specific IP based on MAC address on the router side, but I have never tried to have a device set up such that it "demands" a specific IP address from its side.

This is one of those "little problems" I just haven't had to deal with before.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Hi, britechguy!

Maybe this thread is worth a read, because there, another member is having the same issue as you, and the OP is getting excellent advice by Sneakycyber, one of the certified networking experts here at BC:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/654002/network-issues-no-ip-connection/

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hi Brian

An ipconfig /all would help :)

tfn

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

OK, just looked at the ipconfig /all output for my own machine.   Would the hint be in something other than (Preferred) being listed after the various IP addresses for the machine?  If so, what would be there rather than (Preferred) if there is an attempt on the machine's part to only allow itself to be assigned a specific IP address?

#7 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

I would look for anything deviating from the other computers.

Eg:
169.254 address which suggests dhcp packets doesn't flow
Different / lacking gateway
Static IP address assigned

Also, if it is a problem on both cable and wifi it suggests that there is a problem in the OS and not in the hardware

Test if it works by booting a live linux USB stick. That way you know if its hardware or software

Hth

tfn

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

Thanks much.   I have not yet (and may not, actually) been in front of this machine and having a small set of diagnostic steps to narrow down what might be going on is very helpful.

I can set up wireless networks in most home and small business settings practically in my sleep.  Inheriting one that's suddenly "gone south" is an entirely different thing.

#9 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

Btw.. had an interesting case this morning where the customer had the same error as you had.

It was solved by plugging it into another port on the switch and everything started working.
I suspect some issue with arp table in the switch, but there is no way to really know for sure :)

Wouldnt hurt to try since its an easy fix.

tfn

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

Hi again, britechguy!

With all due respect, have you tried the steps being provided by toofarnorth and are you having any progress?

Or, have you followed Sneakycyber's and my advice to reset the TCP/IP stack, and thus resolved the issue?

And if not, please disregard this post.

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

midimusicman79,

When I originally asked the question it was about a machine that I presumed I would be servicing in the near future, but advised the owner to do some web searches on the error message to see if he could follow steps to resolve the issue himself, which he did.

Subsequent questions are my attempt to understand the nature of what's going on, not to resolve an active issue.

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hi again, britechguy!

Thank you for the clarification, and I apologize for not understanding the scope of your questions pertaining to understanding the circumstance rather than actually resolving the issue.

I am sure you already know, but there are several command-line tools to reset the network and Internet etc., namely Ipconfig, Nbtstat and Netsh (Network Shell). Command-line tools can be faster and more powerful than their graphical alternatives.

For the latter (with graphical user interface), there is NetAdapter Repair All In One.

Also, there is a comprehensive article on this by Microsoft: Fix network connection issues in Windows 10.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 20 August 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#13 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

It would actually be nice to collect information from all the cases where this happens to see if there is something in common for them.

Eg, certain windows updates, a specific network card vendor, driver version for those etc

With all the issues lately esp with Windows 10, there must be a reason for this behaviour

tfn

#14 Mozza7

Mozza7

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

What I would do is just stick the machine onto a static IP that is outside of the DHCP range- aslong as you keep a note of which address it has taken, and as long as the subnet isnt changed in the future- you shouldnt come across any issues..

incase you dont know how:

Open network & sharing centre, find the adapter you are using, right click and choose properties, choose IPV4 and manually enter all the needed information (doing this from memory, sorry if things aren't named exactly how they show)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users