Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I get a dual band router?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

My ISP is a wifi service where I get 10 mbps down and 4 mbps up.   We currently run  approximately 12 devices over a 2.4 single band router.  I don't have any particular issues other than occasional lag in some devices.  Would a dual band router help?   If so, any preferred brand?  Currently use a Netgear that I've been happy with.

Thanks for any input. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

i dont think it will help,

a different router will not increase the speed of your ISP

Edited by mikey11, 14 August 2017 - 08:05 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

What you would have to know is where, precisely, the bottleneck is occurring.

If it's on your LAN then a different router might make a difference.  I have no idea of the age of your router but if, for instance, it's from the Wireless G era you might be well served by getting a new one that supports Wireless AC.  That's even if you don't have devices that are Wireless AC, but have a number that are Wireless N.

However, if the issue is with your ISP and it's because you've hit your throughput max at a given moment in time there is nothing that a router will do to fix that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

I appreciate the replies and that is why I wanted to ask.  My router is a several year old Netgear N600 but I just looked and it is actually a dual band so I suppose I should have checked that out first.  I recently upped my bandwidth and I've started using a Ring doorbell and camera.  My lag comes with those two devices.   

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, neither the Ring doorbell or camera (at least by necessity) uses any "outside the lan" resources unless you are connecting to them remotely.

If you're getting this issue with these two, and only when they are activated, the first thing I'd try is getting rid of a number of the devices that are connected to your lan, temporarily, and see if the lag persists with a significantly lighter load on the lan itself.  If it does not persist then you have your answer (most likely) that the addition to the lan of those devices, given it's normal "working load," pushes the demands past its capacities.

If that's the case a new router might, not will, but might, solve your problem if you get one that has expanded throughput capabilities beyond what you currently have.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

Brian thank you for the help.   I will look into testing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users