Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which is the best and free offline antivirus for a PC (Windows 8)?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RobertBrown1990

RobertBrown1990

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

Clarification time. No one actually knows which anti-virus is THE best. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Ratings, performance and security of the applications changed month to month, it would be hard to establish one. However, there are a couple of possibilities to explore.
Currently, Windows natively has its own anti-virus Windows Defender, and it works relatively well (Not the best by any means, but well). The majority of the popular providers have free versions of their software to test out, and they also do the job.
So, for anti-virus, I recommend Comodo, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Norton. All of them proven formidable. But if you are worried about the performance of your PC, Windows Defender is your best option, since it doesn’t use that much additional resources, while third party anti-virus solutions might.
With anti-virus, you usually will need to run anti-malware software. Not every single anti-virus has the full package included. Any of the popular software solutions will be solid as well. My recommendations towards ADWCleaner, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro.
For in browser solution, you could use an Adblocker to protect you from malicious ads, uBlock takes this one for me.
How to download and install? Just google the name of the software and it will direct you to developers website where you can find the instructions that you need!
But when it comes to the internet, no software will protect you 100%. My tip would be to be aware of what you are browsing and downloading. Do not click suspicious links, avoid shady files. Additionally, be careful with emails, a lot of malware is spread through fake/malicious emails. That is the best way of being safe out there. Good luck!

Edited by Al1000, 14 August 2017 - 08:30 AM.
moved from Win 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:36 AM

and for another security layer, there is MVPS Hosts file.

as to Defender "working relatively well..., but not the best", this is no longer the case, it's (amazingly) as good as any of the others, see https://www.av-comparatives.org/

I ditched my expired NIS and have been on Defender for two weeks now, so far so good.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a robust version of Windows Defender for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits. If you have Windows 10 Anniversary update, it includes Limited Periodic Scanning and allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection.

Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Creators Update includes always-on protection which consists of real-time protection, behavior monitoring and heuristics to identify and block malware based on known suspicious and malicious activity. Windows Defender Antivirus Creators Update is also compatible with any third-party anti-virus.Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits, exploit kits and ransomware.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

If you want an offline antivirus don't use it at all. ( Just my own humble opinion)

Antivirus is an outdated and useless product now a days.

Because viruses though prevalent are having very less market share in cyber attacks.

Use any of the USB autorun blockers, that should be good enough if you are looking for an offline solution.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

If you want an offline antivirus don't use it at all. ( Just my own humble opinion)

Antivirus is an outdated and useless product now a days.

Because viruses though prevalent are having very less market share in cyber attacks.

Use any of the USB autorun blockers, that should be good enough if you are looking for an offline solution.

I can not agree with your primacy.

Obviously you haven't visited our Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.  Viruses are alive and still infecting computers because there are people out there with nothing better to do than come up with new ways to infect computers.  As long as this continues there will be those out there finding ways to protect computers against this type of assault.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

Antivirus is crucial, like seat belts or airbags. If you never actually need them, thats great. But when you do need them, theres no warning, and they can be the thing that saves you.

Who doesnt need antivirus?

...if you are counting on your antivirus to save you or your co-workers from the latest threats, you may be in for a rude awakening down the road. Does this mean antivirus software is completely useless? Not at...antivirus remains a useful if somewhat antiquated and ineffective approach to security. Security is all about layers, and not depending on any one technology or approach to detect or save you from the latest threats.

Antivirus is Dead: Long Live Antivirus!

Why should you use Antivirus software?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:56 AM

You people got me wrong.

I did not mean that antivirus is unimportant. It is important for rarely internet connecting devices with preferably less/no usb transactions.(Seriously how many such devices exist these days??)

Anti virus is unimportant if your device connects to internet frequently with you doing some browsing and/or someone plugs or unplugs thumb drives so frequently.

If your device connects to internet and is used by more than 1 person at any point of time you must need a protection of Internet Security Level (which is almost everyone and every device now a days).

#8 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

I have to disagree.

There is no Ifs or Buts, antivirus software is important - no exceptions.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users