Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invasive 'Intelligent Lockscreen'

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:24 PM

This popped up on my Galaxy S5 for the first time, "Welcome to an Intelligent Lock Screen! Relevant, timely updates and tasks". Not only is this bad English, it's invasive, unwanted, and not 'intelligent'.
There are two buttons -  Later and OK, Got it, both rather cryptic, uninformative, unintelligent, and irrelevant. I can't get past this thing, and I am leary about touching either button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 haltandcatchfire

haltandcatchfire

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

Post a picture of the phone, or a screenshot?

Sounds like some bundled adware either from Samsung or a sketchy app you may have downloaded.

Have you downloaded anything recently?

#3 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

I've downloaded nothing at all in two years

#4 haltandcatchfire

haltandcatchfire

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:25 PM

After doing some research, it looks like this could be related to the Peel Smart Remote app that comes pre-installed in your phone.

Try disabling the app and see if that solves the problem.

1) Go to Settings

2) Select Applications

3) Find Peel Smart Remote

4) Select it and press the disable button

5) Reboot the phone

Let me know how it goes!

#5 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

After doing some research, it looks like this could be related to the Peel Smart Remote app that comes pre-installed in your phone.

Try disabling the app and see if that solves the problem.

1) Go to Settings

2) Select Applications

3) Find Peel Smart Remote

4) Select it and press the disable button

5) Reboot the phone

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks. I had read this before, but I can't go into Settings, I can't do anything. I can't even turn the phone off or reboot. This thing has locked everything

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

Power button plus volume down simultaneously for at least 10 seconds will force reboot your phone without loss of data (that's what it says in the manual)

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

It seems that there is nothing much left for you to do, besides resetting your smartphone (This will return your phone to brand-new condition and your information will be lost), but it will fix your problem.:)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

Back to the start.  Are you saying the two buttons are labeled, "Later and OK," and "Got it"?

Under much of Google's stuff "Got it" generally is a "Saw the notice, dismiss it," action button, while anything containing "OK" is a "Yes equivalent" button.

I'd be far more inclined to hit "Got it" and clean up apps afterward, which is an easy task.

I also have to add that I find it well-nigh impossible to believe that you have downloaded nothing in two years unless this device has not had any connection to the internet at all.  While I can believe you have initiated no downloads yourself, Samsung routinely self-updates its software and sometimes adds new bits, and this screams the adding of a new bit by Samsung.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

Thanks. I realize what "Later" and "OK, got it" usually refer to; this however is inappropriate to the context of this invasive, not asked for 'intelligent lockscreen' - it doesn't make sense. Buttons could be labeled as anything as we all know and actually be directed to gawd knows where.

I haven't initiated any downloads in about two years, although it has updated two or three times. Guess they gave us a special 'gift' along with it...if that's where it came from.

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

I don't understand. Have you actually clicked on any of the option buttons, OP? If so, what happens next?:)

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

The OP, at least based on what's been stated so far, seems adamant about not activating a button.

It seems obvious to me that activating, "OK, Got It," and then promptly going into Applications and removing the offending app.  That is, unless it's a Samsung system app in which case one could either disable it or ignore it.

Much ado about perfectly typical events.  I prefer to adjust to the repeated and inevitable, and OS updates with "gift" apps from any manufacturer from which I've ever had an Android-powered device does this.  I have better things to get exercised about.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

Well, if such is the case, I don't see any other option for OP besides tapping on "OK, Got it". I mean, even if it soft-bricks the smartphone in the worst case scenario, they would still be in the same place as they are right now of having to choose between resetting the Samsung or risking to continue by choosing to touch one of the buttons. I'm actually surprised that OP posted a whole topic, I would've risked it almost immediately.:lmao: (...And by this last sentence one can tell why I have had to reset a smartphone of mine on two separate occasions, lol):)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users