Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have a questions.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 khaledbahanan

khaledbahanan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

Hi.

the questions is: 

i have dimension e510 it's work on windows xp 

i want download windows 10 but i am afraid

IHANKt does not work quickly 

So. what the better win 7 or win 10 for me?

Please help me

Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2017 - 07:20 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

I googled it and it appears the cpu of the E510 isn't compatible with Windows 10. Also on the Dell site nove of the Dimension models were listed as tested for Windows 10. http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297954/computers-tested-for-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update?lang=en. We'd need your specs to really do a thorough check though.

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

Is it DELL Dimension E510 and Intel Pentium D CPU 2.79GHz?
If so, then your ceiling is Windows 7.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

Personally I tried Windows 10 when it first came out and I ended up going back to Windows 8.1. Windows 7 is a great OS in my opinion They are good at fixing what wasn't broken.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,431 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

Windows 10 Specifications & Systems Requirements
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,295 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

Put most simply, I would never, ever consider upgrading hardware that is Windows XP era to Windows 10, even if it were said (officially or unofficially) that it could run it.

I love Windows 10, but it isn't meant for ancient hardware.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#7 khaledbahanan

khaledbahanan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:54 AM

but on the youtube 

they are a people have a windows 10 on them pc same mine

my processor is pentium 4 ht

i have win 7 but it's too slow.

windows 8 is it good . I want my pc work faster and i want download design&recording software.

what can i get to make my pc faster.

Thank u.

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

i have win 7 but it's too slow.

If your computer runs Windows 7 slow, then it would run Windows 10 even worse, as Windows 10 OS is more demanding than Windows 7, mate.

The best way to speed up your computer is, in order of magnitude:

1.Buy a brand-new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed.

2.Max out your current computer's RAM and switch from a classic hard drive to an SSD, and install Linux.

3.Do just one of the things from point 2., while keeping in mind that installing Linux would be free - however, it has a relatively steep learning curve as a price to pay.

4.Do the following with your current Windows 7 computer in order to speed it up pretty much as well as one could be able to:

On your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. Then, delete all the unnecessary programs and files that you don't need any longer and just clean your PC's software in general. Then, download, install and run Malwarebytes. Then, uninstall Malwarebytes. Then, download, install and run Avast. Then, delete Avast. Then, download, install and run AdwCleaner. Then, uninstall AdwCleaner. Then, go to My Computer. Then, go to C: drive. Then, go to Windows folder. Then, go to Prefetch folder. Then, delete everything in that folder. Then, clear your Recycle Bin. Then, download, install and run CCleaner. Then, uninstall CCleaner. Then, restart your computer. Then, on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type in Msconfig. Then, press Enter. Then, click on Services. Then, tick on the bottom Hide all Microsoft services, so that it has a tick in the box. Then, click on Disable all. Then, click on Startup (on the right to Services). Then, click on disable all. Then, click on Apply. Then, restart your computer. Then, open up your computer's case if its out of warranty and is not a laptop and give it a good clean-up with the vacuum cleaner (carefully), a dry towel, some compressed air for the hard-to-reach spots, and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the CPU if that hadn't been done in years and you know how to do it. Then, check if all the parts and connections in your computer are properly put in place. Then, start your computer. Then, follow the steps here - Do Not update your drivers with the software; only Methods 1 to 7. Then, once again on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. That's it!

P.S. In Msconfig you can keep the ticks in the boxes next to the programs that you want to start up when you boot your computer, such as your antivirus, for example. Good luck!

:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 14 August 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,295 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

JOQ wrote, in part:  "If your computer runs Windows 7 slow, then it would run Windows 10 even worse, as Windows 10 OS is more demanding than Windows 7."

Not necessarily.

That being said, the cost of a Windows 10 license, which would have to be purchased to do what's being proposed, is very little less than the cost of a new "low end" computer that would come with Windows 10 pre-installed and have hardware specs that run rings around the one under discussion.

It really becomes a false economy, no economy in fact, to try to do major updates to really old hardware if new OS software must be purchased and/or things like new drives must be purchased.

Computers have a finite service life that is far shorter than their potential ability to keep running.  Just as most people try to avoid keeping cars when they become too unreliable or the need for repair is too regular and costly, the same principle applies to computers.  They can easily be a "money pit" (though not on the same scale) and at the end you have absolutely nothing of value moving forward.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

I absolutely agree, Brian. The only hard justification I see for people to attempt installing Windows 10 on a Windows XP-era computer is to see if it could be successfully done. I myself have pondered that question about 6 months ago, but ultimately opted against that proposition. Apart from curiosity there's no other reason to try doing the Windows migration that OP suggested.

As for the system requirements for Windows 10 vs. Windows 7, you turned out to be right. I assumed that since the two OSs are half-a-decade apart from one another, Windows 10 would be relatively more demanding in terms of hardware, but it seems that this is not the case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#System_requirements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10#System_requirements

:)

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,295 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

JOQ:  Microsoft, like most software companies, both learns from its mistakes and is constantly trying to optimize code.   Several machines in my own household are running the same, or better, under Windows 10 than Windows 7.

OSes in general keep becoming "smarter and smarter" about how they allocate the resources they have to work with.  Sometimes they get it right and/or get better, other times they don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users