Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Increasingly frequent, random "No Signal" screen black outs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 reilem

reilem

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

This issue started a couple months ago when my computer (specs below) went black screen, "no signal" (for the first time since it was built) when I tried to boot up a game. It was pretty scary because I didn't know what it could be, mobo? gpu? psu? etc. Turns out all I had to do was unplug my GPU from the PSU. And use my internal graphics card on my mobo to boot up. Once there I ram the AMD http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx clean driver utility, rebooted once. Then shut down my pc, plugged the gpu back in and bingo it started up again. Once I was running windows on my main GPU I reinstalled the drivers and it was smooth sailing from there. "Phew!, so it's just a driver issue", I thought.

And then it happened again, and again, and again. At one point my little trick didn't work anymore, and in a moment of desperation I took out: the GPU, the mobo battery and my one stick of RAM, waited 10 minutes and put everything back. And then it worked again, and then it broke again. After the so many-th time I was looking at forums and I found a trick on a forum where I could hold down the power button with the PSU unplugged (resetting the cmos). This trick works as well.  But the issue is becoming more and more frequent. Today it was multiple "no signals"+fixes in the span of a few hours. So I guess this really is a "bleeding computer".

Here is the current state/issue:

1. Sometimes I turn it on and I will see the Gigabyte logo screen, then after a while it will go black screen "no signal", but the computer will keep booting up. I can press the power button (once) to safely shut down.

2. Sometimes I power on and see nothing, black screen. Then suddenly out of the blue the windows logo will appear, as if the GPU wasn't sending signal yet and then suddenly jumps in at the last moment.

3. Sometimes I power on and see nothing for a looonng time, and then suddenly I see the windows log-in screen. (This rarely happens but usually occurs after wiping my AMD drivers)
4. Sometimes I power on and everything goes smoothly. But it looses signal at random moments, ex. starting up a game, starting up steam, even just starting up spotify will cause it sometimes. However, it has never occurred mid-game, maybe just a coincidence though.

5. Sometimes I power on and get absolutely nothing, not even a "no signal" screen, just blackness. (This usually occurs after number 4 and I am forced to reboot)

In ALL of these cases the GPU is powered on, the fans are spinning (at least at the start) and nothing seems to be wrong with GPU. Yet the screen gets no signal.

When any of these issues occur I then do the following fixes (in this order, if one doesn't work I go to the next):

1. Unplug/turn off PSU, hold down power button for a minute. Reboot a couple times until it works. (this usually does the trick now)

2. Unplug gpu, use integrated graphics, reinstall drivers etc. (as stated above)

3. Take out GPU, RAM, mobo battery, wait 10 minutes. (as stated above)

Up until now, one of these three methods will always solve the issue temporarily. At first I was blaming windows for screwing with my drivers, because the issue would always start up again after a windows update. But like stated above, it's becoming so frequent now that it's just ridiculous, and I don't think it's just windows. Either something is in a bad config state, or some hardware is seriously failing. The most likely culprits are GPU or mobo. I doubt it's the GPU because at the end of the day it still works and runs my games at good FPS as it always has.

I hope there is something I can do like reinstall BIOS or use a special driver cleaning tool that can fix this issue. I'm prepared to buy and reinstall new components but I would like to exhaust all other options until I make a stupid decision like replace a working part.

I know it might be the screen, or the cable. But it coincides too well with always working again after a cmos clear, I can reboot as many times as I want, it won't work. I do a CMOS clear, it immediately works again. The cable is very high quality (like super thick and newly bought) and the screen is always receiving power when it needs to, power light is always on etc.

Specs (just the basics, will update in full detail tomorrow updated):
GPU: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390 (now with the latest driver 17.7.2 crimson)
RAM: 1x8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1066.2 MHz
PSU: Corsair RM 650x
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, 1x1TB WD black

CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte H170M-D3H-CF

Screen is connected with a DVI connector.

Built maybe 2-3 years ago.

Any extra info I can give or diagnostics I can run, ask away, I will do those tomorrow and post the results

Edited by reilem, 14 August 2017 - 05:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:48 PM

Are the graphics stable if you just run them straight from the motherboard, with the GPU removed? Or does the problem still occur?

This could be a good way to identify if there is a problem with the GPU.

#3 reilem

reilem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the reply! Yes there are no issues so far when running on the integrated graphics card. But also no issues when running the GPU in safe mode using the basic drivers that you get when you first run your computer. Could this still be a GPU hardware issue then?

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

If the integrated GPU works fine then the problem is with the PCI card or maybe a fan issue. We can run a Speccy report to look for temps and possible hardware issues. http://download.piriform.com/spsetup131.exe. After it finishes (just takes a few seconds) click file, then publish snapshot, then copy to clipboard. You can then paste the URL here and we can take a look. :)

#5 reilem

reilem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

Alright I'll post the speccy reports tomorrow then. Any chance trying a different pci slot would help?

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

It might, sure worth a try.

#7 reilem

reilem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:27 AM

Here is the speccy report right after start up, running on my main GPU in the same PCI slot. As far as I can see no overheating issue.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5FtKj2MIEOutjnchDSJZmA7

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

The Speccy Report looked fine for temps so if the integrated card works fine we can rule out a problem with the monitor and cable so the GPU itself is probably the problem. Is it by any chance still under warranty?

#9 reilem

reilem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

I had a look and apparently it's only 1 and a half years old. So according to EU law I should still be within the two year range, if sapphire abide by these laws is of course another question but RMA'ing is a possibility. However I still doubt if it's simply a hardware error. I played witcher 3 today for the entire day without any issues or artefacts from the GPU. The mobo still seems more likely to me. Perhaps I'll send a support ticket to sapphire to see if their experts can provide any help on the matter.

Edited by reilem, 14 August 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

There's always the possibility it could be a motherboard issue. There are people on here with a lot more knowledge and experience than me. Maybe one of them can pitch in here and help.

#11 reilem

reilem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

I can confirm, GPU is at fault. Just plugged in my centuries old Nvidia GTX 550Ti and it worked immediately. Radeon R9 390, still failing at boot.

#12 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

check your refresh rate of the monitor, if it's set to a higher refresh rate and if your overclocking your gpu maybe your causing an issue there.

myself I would drop the refresh rate and see if the problem still exists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users