Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recently installed Vista after crash, now Chrome and Vista are very slow.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Is Adblock Plus better than using the Firefox pop up blocker? Will it conflict with Avast?

Hi edweather:

Just a minor point, but I wanted to check back with you and clarify that Firefox doesn't have a built-in ad blocker.  For added privacy you can start Firefox in private browsing mode [open the main menu (hamburger icon) and click New Private Window] with Tracking Protection enabled, but using tracking protection to block third-party trackers like tracking cookies is different from using ad blockers like Adblock Plus and Adguard AdBlocker that are designed to prevent pop-up ads, banner ads embedded in web pages, malicious adware, etc.from being displayed.

The pop-up blocker in Firefox described in the support article Settings for web content, pop-ups, fonts, and languages is only designed to block pop-up windows.  The support article Pop-up blocker settings, exceptions and troubleshooting notes that "Sometimes ads are designed to look like windows, but really aren't. Firefox's pop-up blocker can't stop these ads".

... I downloaded Safari which allowed me to get SP2, and IE 9...

If you're referring to Safari for Windows, support for that browsers was discontinued several years ago and Safari for Windows v5.1.7 (released 09-May-2012) was the last version supported by Apple.  Since it's no longer needed that's another insecure third-party browser that I'd recommend you uninstall from your Vista SP2 along with your unsupported Chrome browser.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * Malwarebytes v3.1.2

Edited by lmacri, 24 August 2017 - 11:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 edweather

edweather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Hi,  Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I realize that the pop up blocker on Firefox isn't an ad blocker.  I use in-private browsing sometimes, but most of the time I just forget it's there, or I'd probably use it more :-)

The only reason I used Safari in the beginning was that it let me move forward and get SP 2 for Vista, and then I could upgrade to IE 9.  IE 7 was pretty useless, and with a bad browser, and no SP 2, I was stymied, but Safari was a great way to keep going.  But you're right, and I just removed it.  I only have 4 programs on the desktop.....Firefox, Avast, Ccleaner, and Malwarebytes. 

Not sure what I have against an ad blocker, but it's probably an old bias from back in the day, when ad blocker programs seemed (imo) to add a bunch of junk, and then they were hard to remove.  So far the ads haven't been too bad, so I'm still on the fence about Ad Blocker.  It's probably a great program.

The computer is running really well, and as soon as my pair of 2GB memory sticks arrive in the mail, I'll be maxing out the ram :-)

Thanks Again,  Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users