Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recently installed Vista after crash, now Chrome and Vista are very slow.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 edweather

edweather

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

After a crash I recently reinstalled Vista 32 bit and drivers on my Dell E5500 laptop. It went smoothly, and everything is good except when I try and go online. Chrome and Firefox are really messed up. They worked fine before the crash. The browsers will load most of the time, but sometimes not. The search engines work ok most of the time, but sometimes not. The real problems are in loading web pages. Sometimes they load, but mostly not.....or very slow. Downloading files is difficult at best, and watching a youtube video is almost impossible.  I've already eliminated the possibility of Malware. I don't remember everything I've tried to fix the problem, but have tried quite a lot of stuff. Any help would be appreciated. I think I'm using the most recent 32 bit browsers, but maybe not. Firefox browser is 52.3.0 (32-bit) Chrome is Version 49.0.2623.112     Thanks, Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

Hi edweather:

Is Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed and can you confirm that you are patched as of April 2017 (i.e., the final batch of Patch Tuesday security updates released before extended support for Vista SP2 ended on 11-Apr-2017)? Open IE9, go to Help | About Internet Explorer and see if the April 2017 cumulative security update for IE9 was installed by Windows Update - your Update Versions should be v9.0.60 / KB4014661 or higher.

Attached File  IE9 Version KB4014661 April 2017.png   17.66KB   0 downloads

There is a known issue where Windows Updates can hang on "Checking for updates..." on Vista SP2 machines for several hours (or even days), and if you are affected by this problem you might notice high CPU consumption and a decrease in system performance during one of these slow Windows Updates.  See my post #469 in KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates" for a link to step-by-step instructions in the MS Answers forum if you suspect Windows Update isn't working correctly.

Your Firefox ESR v52.3.0 browser is the only major browser that is fully supported on XP and Vista.  Google stopped releasing security updates for Chrome for both these operating systems back in April 2016 - see Google's official announcement at Updates to Chrome Platform Support - and I would strongly advise against using unsupported Chrome or IE9 browsers on your Vista SP2 machine.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3

Edited by lmacri, 13 August 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#3 edweather

edweather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

Yes SP2 is installed.  My latest update version is 9.0.8112.16421IC  KB982861.

Why are we talking aboit Internet Explorer, when Firefox, and Chrome are the issues?  I'm probably not understanding something.

I have no problem dumping IE and Chrome, but right now Firefox won't even load a page.

Edited by edweather, 14 August 2017 - 04:47 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

I would tap F12 at boot and do a complete System Diagnostic. 

#5 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

Yes SP2 is installed.  My latest update version is 9.0.8112.16421IC  KB982861.

Hi edweather:

I was just trying to get some idea if Windows Update has been able to run to completion and install all available security updates for Vista SP2 and IE9 since your reinstall.  All IE9 browsers have a build version of 9.0.8112.16421 (the "IC" stands for Internet Content Provider version - see the support article Information About Internet Explorer Versions) but KB982861 is the original installer for IE9 released in June 2011.  If your automatic Windows Updates still haven't updated your IE9 browser to the April 2017 Version Update v9.0.60 (KB4014661) then it's possible you're affected by the Windows Update hangs I mentioned <here> that often cause high CPU and RAM consumption and affect system performance.

Step through the instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours.  If you're missing any of the five Vista SP2 / IE9 security updates listed in STEP # 2 [KB3205638 (rel. 13-Dec-2016); KB4012583 (rel. 14-Mar-2017); KB4015195, KB4015380 and KB4014661 (rel. 11-Apr-2017)] those updates will have to be pre-installed before Windows Update can run to completion and patch your Vista SP2 OS to April 2017.  Additional speed up patches will have to be pre-installed if you have MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed.

I'm not sure if this is your problem but the symptoms you're describing are very typical of a Vista SP2 machine experiencing these slow Windows Updates.  Most Vista users who reinstall their OS now encounter this problem as soon as SP2 is applied.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3

Edited by lmacri, 14 August 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

Duplicate post deleted.

Edited by lmacri, 14 August 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#7 edweather

edweather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

Thank you very much for explaining things.  I manually installed the updates, which in turn then lead to a massive update package of 184 updates.  Things didn't get much better though, so I decided to do a fresh install. So far, all I have done is install Vista and whatever updates automatically came with it.  I downloaded Safari which allowed me to get SP2, and IE 9.  So now I'm at the same place I was, and am about to manually install the 5 updates, and go from there.  I haven't even downloaded Firefox, or an Antivirus software, but I will as soon as I get all the Vista updates installed.  I will say that things are already better, as I'm using IE 9 now and it's working really well.  I'll check back after all the updates are installed, and then I can see how Firefox works.  Thanks again,  Ed 

#8 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

I manually installed the updates, which in turn then lead to a massive update package of 184 updates....

Hi edweather:

Thanks for the feedback, and be sure to post back if you run into any problems with Windows Update after the new reinstall.

Once Windows Update has delivered all available updates up to April 2017 and you've had a few days to catch your breath, be sure to read through the supplementary instructions in More Shadow Brokers Exploits Patched June 2017 for Win XP and Vista. Microsoft released five critical out-of-band security updates for Vista SP2 in June 2017 to patch vulnerabilities for three exploits recently leaked by the NSA (EnglishmanDentist, EsteemAudit and ExplodingCan).  These five updates will not be delivered via Windows Update and must be installed manually using .msu offline installers.

Mozilla has an FAQ for Firefox ESR (extended support release) at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/.  If you use the blue Download button on that page it will re-direct you to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/, and that download page should auto-detect your Vista SP2 OS and offer the latest ESR v52.3.0 offline installer.

-----------

Edited by lmacri, 16 August 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#9 edweather

edweather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

All updates are installed.  The computer is working very nicely.  Was enen able to watch a youtube video in IE 9.

Thanks for the links to ESR Firefox, but the download links to the 32 bit download won't work.  I tried it in Safari, and IE.  Any suggestions?  Can't I just use the regular Firefox?

#10 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the links to ESR Firefox, but the download links to the 32 bit download won't work.  I tried it in Safari, and IE.  Any suggestions?  Can't I just use the regular Firefox?

Hi edweather:

No, Firefox 53 was the last regular version of Firefox that was supported on Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2 and all users with these older operating systems were automatically switched to the Firefox ESR branch in March 2017.  The support article Important - Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista notes that Mozilla will continue to support Firefox ESR on these older platforms until at least September 2017 and "In mid-2017, a final support end date will be announced based on the number of users still on Windows XP and Vista".

When I browse to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/ with Firefox ESR v52.3.0 I see

Attached File  Firefox ESR Download Mozilla.png   58.72KB   0 downloads

but I can confirm that when I browse to that same URL with my IE9 browser I am redirected to https:// download-sha1.allizom.org/?product=firefox-52.3.0esr-SSL&os=win&lang=en-US and see a "The webpage cannot be found" error, so it appears IE9 can't establish a secure connection.  That might have something to do with the fact that IE9 doesn't support newer (and safer) protocols like TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 for connecting to secure https sites.  If you browse to the Qualys browser security test site at https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html using your IE9 browser you'll see all sorts of red warnings about protocol support and exploit vulnerabilities that you won't see with the latest Firefox ESR.

Attached File  IE9 Qualys Browser Test 17 Aug 2017.png   23.18KB   0 downloads

The good news is that I was able to download the latest ESR installer (e.g., Firefox Setup 52.3.0esr.exe) from Mozilla's FTP server using IE9. For 32-bit operating systems go to https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.3.0esr/win32/ and then choose the link for your region/language.  If you want the US English version, for example, the correct 32-bit installer will be located at https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.3.0esr/win32/en-US/.

EDIT:

Further to my previous comments about downloading installers from Mozilla's FTP site, I did some more testing and discovered that the link https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ will auto-detect my Vista SP2 OS and download the correct Firefox ESR installer when I use my IE9 browser.

-----------

Edited by lmacri, 17 August 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#11 edweather

edweather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:52 AM

Can't thank you enough for the link, it uploaded in less than a minute, and it really flies.  Thank you for your time.  Is there anything I need to do to maintain Firefox?

#12 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

Can't thank you enough for the link, it uploaded in less than a minute, and it really flies.  Thank you for your time.  Is there anything I need to do to maintain Firefox?

Hi edweather:

No, if you open the main menu (the hamburger icon at the top right) and go to Options | Advanced | Update the default setting is Automatically install updates.  If you prefer to use the Never check for updates setting you can check for updates any time you wish by opening the Help menu (hamburger icon and "?"), choosing About Firefox from the Help menu and clicking the Check for updates button.

You can customize you browser with add-ons from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/.  Keep them to a minimum to avoid impacting your browser performance but I always advise installing a reputable ad blocker (I use Adblock Plus).

The good news is that I was able to download the latest ESR installer (e.g., Firefox Setup 52.3.0esr.exe) from Mozilla's FTP server using IE9...

I did some more testing and discovered that the link https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ will correctly download the latest Firefox ESR installer from my IE9 browser.  It's too late for you since you already used the FTP download site but I'll go back and edit my previous post for any other Vista SP2 users who might be following this thread.  Sorry about that.

-----------

Edited by lmacri, 17 August 2017 - 09:01 AM.

#13 edweather

edweather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

Is Adblock Plus better than using the Firefox pop up blocker? Will it conflict with Avast?  I'm using Avast as my antivirus.

Edited by edweather, 17 August 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#14 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Is Adblock Plus better than using the Firefox pop up blocker? Will it conflict with Avast?  I'm using Avast as my antivirus.

Hi edweather:

If you mean the built-in browser protection described in the Mozilla support article How does built-in Phishing and Malware Protection work?, I think it does a decent job preventing you from browsing to known malicious sites, but adding an ad blocker to your browser can provide an extra layer of protection that supplements your built-in browser protection and antivirus.  I don't know a lot about the security features included with Avast, but I use Norton Security and I know of many Norton users who have been infected with low risk PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) like adware and browser hijackers or who downloaded malware when they clicked "OK" in a fake pop-up (for example, see Symantec's warning <here> about Fake Adobe Flash Updater scams) that might have been blocked by an ad blocker.

I'd still suggest installing Adblock Plus or some other reputable ad blocker and test for a while to see if it causes any problems on websites you visit regularly.  The default settings in Adblock Plus are fine for the majority of users but I've disabled the option to allow some non-intrusive ("acceptable") ads in Adblock (see the setting at Filter preferences | Filter subscriptions and read the FAQ Allowing Acceptable Adds in Adblock Plus for more info) and added a few extra filter lists and haven't noticed any problems.

Adblock Plus features are described on their main website at https://adblockplus.org/en/features but most of the custom features like tracking protection aren't added by default and are probably included with your built-in browser protection and antivirus.
------------

Edited by lmacri, 17 August 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#15 edweather

edweather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

Ok thanks.  Am still considering Adblock Plus.  The computer is running so well thanks to you, I'm just enjoying it for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users