Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Being Our Own Teachers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

Actually, it was anonymous8! who made me think that since so many of us feel 'basic survival/life skills' are no longer being taught in schools, we could perhaps be our own teachers - right here on our Bleepingcomputer site.

There are so many things I don't know and learning from each other would be wonderful!

For myself, one of the most vital purchases we may ever make is an easily handled 'fire ladder' for making a quick and safe exit from every bedroom on the 2nd floor or above. (Children often think it's great fun during fire drills at home - with mom or dad at the bottom of the ladder, of course - but in a real emergency, children can do it on their own without the terror and panic that often causes these precious little ones to loose their lives).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anonymous8

anonymous8

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:11 PM

That is a good tip, MaraM. I would add about fire safety of having a handy fire extinguisher around. Also, if ever one is caught by fire, it would be best to roll over and not panic. I hope I have contributed useful tips :thumbsup:

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

Actually, the list for education is almost endless. One doesn't have to do it alone.

Pick up a local phone book. Look at Red Cross, Boy/Girl Scouts of America, YMCA/YWCA, ROTC or any other fraternal organization.
Most if not all offer education and training in "survival" skills.

All should have first aid, CPR, life saving, and basic survial skills training.
children as young as 4 years old or before will benefit from Red Cross swimming classes, etc.
Teach all your children to dial 911.
Two year olds can do it! Write 911 on a 3x5 card and paste it below or to the phones.

This list grows as one seeks to accept other challenges.

BC is not really the forum for such education, though it's great you brought this subject up here.
It serves to remind us all again to get the education and help others to do so also.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

That is a good tip, MaraM. I would add about fire safety of having a handy fire extinguisher around. Also, if ever one is caught by fire, it would be best to roll over and not panic. I hope I have contributed useful tips :thumbsup:

You have, and thank you! In fact, after reading your words, I toodled off to look at fire extinguisher - and discovered it's been 11 years since it was last inspected! Eek!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

Actually, the list for education is almost endless. One doesn't have to do it alone.

Pick up a local phone book. Look at Red Cross, Boy/Girl Scouts of America, YMCA/YWCA, ROTC or any other fraternal organization.
Most if not all offer education and training in "survival" skills.

All should have first aid, CPR, life saving, and basic survial skills training.
children as young as 4 years old or before will benefit from Red Cross swimming classes, etc.
Teach all your children to dial 911.
Two year olds can do it! Write 911 on a 3x5 card and paste it below or to the phones.

This list grows as one seeks to accept other challenges.

BC is not really the forum for such education, though it's great you brought this subject up here.
It serves to remind us all again to get the education and help others to do so also.

Oops! Honestly didn't realize that "BC is not really the forum for such education" - and I apologise!

Thanks for your tips, though - do appreciate it.

Kind thoughts,
Mara

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:24 PM

This is an important and very large issue. I learned an awful lot in the Scouts as a youngun
But if you have kids: Teach them to be aware
Teach them 911...Have a home fire drill once a year. Teach them to find the emergency kits in the dark. Have planned meeting places in case of separation.

There is a whole lot here
FEMA
http://www.fema.gov/index.shtm

and here Ready
http://www.Ready.com/

FEMA Disaster Survival Tips
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/40987

Disaster Survival Recipes
http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blmisc67.htm
Survive Outdoors
http://www.surviveoutdoors.com/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:38 AM

Teaching ourself basic survival... If at first we don't succeed, maybe survival isn't for us. Sorry, couldn't resist. :thumbsup:

Lovely FEMA Disaster Survival Tips you have there boopme.

In a time of crisis brought on by a natural disaster, remember to focus on the task at hand—survival—and don't waste mental energy thinking about who did or didn't cut this or that funding for levee repairs.

In the event of a disaster of "biblical proportions," FEMA may not be your best option. You may wish to consult your Bible instead.

In any disaster, bodies will usually be stacked like cordwood before FEMA can respond, so remember that a "cord" of wood is 8 feet high by 12 feet long by 4 feet wide, and stack accordingly.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 anonymous8

anonymous8

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:22 AM

They are useful tips, Mr Alpha. Yes, you are right, if it is our time then no survival tip can spare our lives. But it is good to think that we did our part, at least if ever the time has come, we died trying :thumbsup:

For places where 911 cannot be reached, it is best to list down numbers of fire stations, police, hospitals and other important services and post them by the phone.

If I may, I would like to add tips on earthquakes. If ever an earthquake will occur, the "run, cover, duck" (I am not sure what it is called :flowers:) routine would be advisable. Though it is a common tip, I might as well include about finding a sturdy table for you to be covered if ever escape is difficult. If there are no tables visible, then I would suggest to find a door frame and position yourself as if you are blocking the door. We were told that the door frame is one of the strongest parts of the house and is most likely the last to fall down :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users