Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heuristic Problem adwcleaner can't get rid of...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MNggma

MNggma

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

Running Win7 Home Premium OS...Also tech-challenged senior here, though am learning.  Problem first appeared 8-9-2017 after I had watched movie free online...never done this before and thought site chosen was "safe".  As always, at end of day after using untried (by me) site I updated and ran adwcleaner, but got  msg: ***caught unhandled unknown exception, terminating

Log showed, and still shows, these two:

PUP.Adware.Heuristic,C:\ProgramDate\{95164853-C885-4648-BEAA-E04328156EF0}

PUP.Adware.Heuristic,C:\ProgramData\{D3B41B92-9BC2-43EB-916A-4FA9E8191837}

Log story short, got interrupted and didn't get back until to day when I reran adwcleaner...twice...and got same results.  Did run current version SAS and it found absolutely nothing.  Use CCleaner Pro so Caches are cleaned every time a browser is closed.  The first movie I watched I used my Yandex browser, the next time I used the CLIQZ browser thinking that would be safer...no difference.

Please help...tried to go through all the listings of topics but got a bit overwhelmed.  Do hope this is the correct place for my problem.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 August 2017 - 04:15 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to 'Am I infected?'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

Welcome to BC...

From a brief search those two items are associated with HP Support Assistant. So, that heuristic finding is likely a false positive.

You can safely uninstall HP Support Assistant. I suggest looking in your list of installed programs and uninstalling it.

If AdwCleaner still finds those two items after doing the uninstall and rebooting, please let me know.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 MNggma

MNggma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thanx for the info...uninstalled HP Support Assistant, reran adwcleaner...still got those PUPs and still had to use Ctrl Alt Del to clear out the adwcleaner as the red X was darkened and wouldn't allow me to close window, even though adwcleaner had stopped forgot to add that earlier.  Going off for evening...will check in tomorrow.  Thanx again for the quick get back...

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Uninstall AdwCleaner. Open AdwCleaner and click on uninstall.

Reboot and reinstall

Run another scan and let me know what happened.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

CCleaner can cause some issues if not used carefully, but In this case, I guess it won't be a problem. Restarting your computer after uninstall will be beneficial. Also, I recommend doing a scan with Malwarebytes just to ensure that there are no other issues with your PC. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

CCleaner can cause some issues if not used carefully, but In this case, I guess it won't be a problem. Restarting your computer after uninstall will be beneficial. Also, I recommend doing a scan with Malwarebytes just to ensure that there are no other issues with your PC. 

The only aspect of CCleaner which could possibly be considered potentially dangerous is the registry cleaner.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 MNggma

MNggma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

First, I sign petitions, download craft projects, etc, so am used to looking for all the little boxes people put in their Accept Terms windows...always uncheck them.  Learned the hard way when I first got my computer and found out there were free games I could download to my computer...Yup, I got toolbars, new homepages, etc and it took me, with help from MS Community, a good bit of time to clean everything out.  Was a learning process back then.  Also learned about Not messing with any Registry Keys...though still get a bit confused when one shows up on Malwarebytes, SAS and other software I've used over these last couple years.  Got my knuckles wrapped figuratively online by a MS tech helping me clean my mess back then.  So now I use CCleaner, but have No registry boxes checked...it's safer that way when in my hands.

Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it found nothing.  Uninstalled adwcleaner and am now going to reboot.  Will install and run it after, then be back to let you know what's up...Thanx to you all for the advice and help...

#8 MNggma

MNggma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

Did reboot...clean install of adwcleaner.exe...ran and the same two PUPs were found.  This time, however, when I clicked to clean, didn't get terminating msg and adwcleaner did the reboot.  Reran it again to check and those pesky PUPs were gone.  Whew.  Yup, I'm keeping the info from you all so I'll have it if, hopefully never, but...if I encounter something like this again.

Big THANX for the help...it has been much Appreciated by this ggma...

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

You're welcome...happy surfin'....I'm a ggpa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users