Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen After Windows Logo (Onboard GPU still works)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amazonblueberry

amazonblueberry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

Hello, I have tried researching my problem and tried various solutions that worked for others, but none seem to apply to me. Mostly, this issue seems to be with new rigs or laptops. My desktop is a few years old.

My Specs:
Windows 7 Pro
2 Monitors
ASrock z77 Extreme 6
Sapphire Radeon HD 7800
8GB RAM (2 sticks in proper DIMM slots)

Here is my problem:
I was playing Elder Scrolls Online when my game crashed. I went back in, and my graphics were artifacting badly: bright colors, lines and squiggles throughout my display. Suddenly, my game crashed again. This artifacting / crashing only got worse, while I tested it in other games with the same results. Finally, I got a Blue Screen of Death, and since then, I get a black screen after the windows logo (before log-in). The screen is not perfectly black, as if the monitor is off, but rather slightly lit / artificially black. Safe mode (onboard) still works, as does forcing onboard in the BIOS.

Things to note:
Device manager: "Display adapters" shows my AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
"Other devices" shows 3 items with the yellow ! icons:
PCI Simple Communications Controller, Unknown device, and Video Controller.

All temps and fans are fine.

What I have tried:

• Reinstalling windows on a fresh partition
    Reinstalling video card drivers (newest and older)
    Re-seated RAM
    Re-seated and re-plugged cables of GPU
    Re-seated GPU into another PCI-E slot
    Vacuumed throughout the case
    Plugged both of my monitors in every combination possible, including onboard slots, as well as using only 1 at a time

Does anyone have any ideas? I am beginning to believe my GPU has just died.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

On your analysis I believe you are right - your GPU is an ex-GPU. But there is one point in your account I don't quite understand.

You say "Safe mode (onboard) still works, as does forcing onboard in the BIOS.". I would have expected that on-board video would work in normal mode as well as safe mode if not as well or as flexibly as your GPU did if it was only your GPU. Can you clarify this point ?

Chris Cosgrove

PS  Welcome to BC !  I just noticed this was your first post.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 August 2017 - 04:49 PM.

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 amazonblueberry

amazonblueberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

Thank you for your response.  I believe I was/am confused, which is why I confused you.  I will clarify and provide my recent findings:

Onboard works fully, safemode or normal mode.

Safemode also appears to work with my Radeon (using generic VGA drivers)

Normal Mode also seems to work with my Radeon using generic VGA drivers. (if I uninstall the Radeon drivers)

I am assuming that the Radeon is being used because I have my left monitor plugged into the Radeon, while my right monitor is plugged into my onboard.  When I select onboard in BIOS, my right monitor will work.  When I use my Radeon in BIOS, my left monitor will work without Radeon drivers.  If Radeon drivers are installed, I will get the black screen issue.

In device manager it shows both the standard VGA graphics adapter as well as my Radeon.  Both are up to date, says Windows.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

I have this feeling I am rapidly getting out of my depth here !  I think there is something wrong with your GPU but what, I don't know. I will see if I can get a member much better informed about these then I am to have a look at your problem.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

I would agree that it's likely the GPU has failed.  I believe it's perfectly possible for a GPU to fail such that it will still output something at low resolution in a generic VESA mode (i.e. what Safe mode uses) but not work at higher resolutions or 3D etc.  The artefacts are certainly an indication of a failing GPU.  I had one that started off with crashes of the display driver, then soon progressed onto odd artefacts (mouse pointer turning into a block, 3D crashes, weird colour trails), then on to only working in safe mode, and finally it failed entirely within a few days...

Here are a few things you could try to do:

Run a live version of Linux (e.g. Linux Mint 18) from a USB stick or DVD.  This takes the Windows drivers entirely out of the picture.  If it boots up try something moderately graphics intensive like watching an online HD video or similar..

Try the GPU in another machine if possible...

You've really ruled out driver issues I think by doing a clean re-install of Windows, so I wouldn't expect Linux to show improvements, but you might think it's worth a try.  There's a slim chance of a failing PSU causing problems with the GPU, but the symptoms you mention initially most suggest a dying GPU to me.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users