Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rent price in New York City

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

Hey, does anyone approximately know how much money per month does renting an apartment in New York City cost at the very lowest?

I am simply curious and it appears that a lot of the information I find on the Internet is either ambiguous, exaggerated for hyperbole or bulked together with all kinds of different information that is not concerned with what I am looking for.

I just wonder, for about how much at the cheapest can you rent an apartment in New York City with complete disregard of quality or location, as long as it is legal and not government-subsidized. Doesn't matter if we're talking about just ~20 square meters (~200 sq. feet) either - Just barely livable enough.

Thank you.:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:21 AM

Hi JOQ!

As NYC is rather "large"...perhaps dialing in on what area of the city you'd like to live in would better help get you get information on rent. Hopefully you'll receive feedback from those familiar with NYC sharing what part of the city to avoid for housing.

This map is not inclusive, more from a tourist perspective to show the breadth of the city.

nyc-map-image.jpg

Good luck!

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,255 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:52 AM

Wow...check out some of these prices! The following information is "generic" from Google:

Manhattanhttp://tinyurl.com/yaga6qrx

Queenshttp://tinyurl.com/ybr2vv8h

Brooklynhttp://tinyurl.com/y8dertw4

Staten Islandhttp://tinyurl.com/y9v2h2

JOQ, I'm sure that you realize that the list could go on, and on, and whew...when to stop!

It will be fun to discover greater details from the pool of pals!  :oneeye:

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

Hey, thanks! I am mainly interested in knowing the rent situation in the western-most parts of the 5 boroughs or whatever is close to an underground. Staten Island seems to be pretty far from the rest. The Bronx borough appears to be the least expensive of them all with the lower-level rents hovering around $750-$1000/month for a studio, which would mean that, depending on their job and income, one would spend between 20%-50% of their after-tax salary on rent. Kind of annoying, but I suppose if there's any place where you could change that situation, it'd be New York City. If these numbers are correct, New York City looks to be about 2.5-3 times more expensive than where I currently live, which is about on par with what I expected. Thanks!:)

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,255 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

The data below which I have found for you will give you a 'general' guideline as a "big" picture and might not meet all of your curiosity.

Transit System Map (Underground, subway, tube) This example might guide you to narrow down what borough you would wish to live in while you seek the lowest rent.

Crime blog (not statistics) per borough (certainly not current to August 2017)

It appears that you are fascinated with statistics!  The links I found below are a sampling of lots of information using Google to search. I feel you will glean a lot of information from them that will address many of your questions to guide you with your choices. Of course, finding the lowest rent from any data will require you to do your own investigation, lowest rent is relative to your budget! Reminder, not all of the data below is current, you will need to do your own research to find statistics relative to August 2017. (The information below will take time to read so to glean some of the information it appears you are seeking)

Enjoy your reading!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

You need to consider far more than just rent (though that's a good starting point).

Where are you living now?  Compared to where I'm living now NYC would be significantly more than 2.5-3 times more expensive, and not just on rent.  Since merchants pay rent, the prices of goods and services are also quite a bit higher.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

Thank you, I will have a look at that info. Yes, I am considering the full picture, of course, not just rent prices. I have found that the usual basket of goods doesn't directly apply to me as I am not really the biggest spender and oftentimes find myself in a niche of a consumer market. Out of the items and services that I purchase regularly food is both the biggest part in terms of chunk from my monthly financial budget and amount of goods bought. I don't really spend much on anything else, such as eating out, clothing or electricity, but, as Brian said, even if I don't use those stuff, other people and merchants do, so it's still reflected into the final price of the other goods that I frequently buy, such as potatoes, cheese and fruits. I am looking at rent costs first, because I am curious and also living somewhere doesn't really get any more pivotal than renting a place there, so I look at it foremost. As I said, once I am healthy, I don't expect to be spending any significant time indoors, apart from ~10 hours/day for sleeping + showering and bathroom, so it really doesn't matter to me the quality or the size of the place, but more so the price. I am currently living in Sofia, Bulgaria and you can have a quick reference look at the numbers from here. I have found that the people from this website provide pretty near to reality accurate numbers on the price-tags of the 30 or so most bought goods, so I trust that they have their figures for NYC correct as well. If we have to be precise and employing their data, living in New York City is 3.57 times more expensive than in Sofia, whereas the average (mind you, not median) monthly after tax salary is 7.06 times higher than it is in Sofia.

Thanks for the clarifications as well! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 13 August 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

Here's an old video on currency exchange rate I've recently stumbled upon again.:lmao:

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,563 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

One thing I can definitely tell you with regard to NYC, having friends that do live there or did live there:  No matter what your salary, you'll spend it (unless you happen to be a Wall Street type).

The reason that salaries are high there is they need to be high in order to live there.  Many large companies have "salary differentials" for Washington, DC, NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, and possibly other major cities that are paid if one is moved there or taken away if one is moved elsewhere to work for the company.  Those differentials are not bonuses in any meaningful sense, but increases to cover increased costs of living "to the custom that someone doing a given job expects" in other less expensive places.

One state agency I do work for has an increased hourly rate when serving individuals in Northern Virginia because it's part of the DC area and folks living there who do what I do need to make more than I make to make ends meet.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

Yes, I know. I've heard of those differing rates being common in the law industry for example. There seems to be about 15 or so cities in the world which I would consider 'ridiculous' in terms of cost of living. The 3 days that I've spent in London was the time I've felt the closest to being a pauper, even more so than when I was in Monte Carlo. All I could say is - thank God for Arabs being virtually present everywhere on the Planet and knowing how to make good duner, whilst somehow managing to sell it constantly for ~2.50$ everywhere. :lmao: We'll see; as I said I'm asking about NYC out of curiosity for now - a trip to there for me is nowhere near in sight, although it seems like a place I would love to live in. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 14 August 2017 - 10:09 PM.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,887 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

The average cost for a 2 bedroom Apt = $3890.00/month

Transit pass is 116

Or park your car for 500
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

http://www.rent.com/new-york/new-york-apartments/1482-york-avenue-4-r2339269

Why is this apartment in Manhattan priced at $750/month? Has someone been murdered there, what's the catch?:lmao:

There are a total of 7 NYC apartments priced lower than $1000 in this website right now.

http://www.rent.com/new-york/new-york-city/apartments_condos_houses_townhouses_cheap

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,887 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

Actually that is the only one in Manhattan, the 1 bedroom. The others are in Brooklyn.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant - 7 apartments in NYC for less than $1000/month. They all look normal, not to say good, though, which is somewhat weird. I am going to check on the listings again in some time to see whether these offers are gone or not.:)

#15 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

You know what, all these 7 offers look from the pictures better than pretty much every place I have ever lived. There's definitely something fishy going on in here.

tumblr_nqwfamro001tslewgo1_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users