Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Store cannot download/update apps

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 N1GHTMAR3

N1GHTMAR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

When you click/tap on this Service you will see the option to restart it in the upper left portion of the page, use that to restart the Service.  This Service has one dependency, the Remoter Procedure Call (RPC).  Male sure this Service is running and set to Automatic.

If you do a Reset it basically will reinstall the operating system.  It has the options to keep your personal files.  The down side is it will delete all of your third party programs you installed.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Microsoft Account Sign-in assistant always seems to stop by itself after a few minutes, no matter how many times I restart it. RPC is already running and set to Automatic.

Thanks for the clarification on resetting. I'm only going to use it as a last resort if all other potential fixes fail though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:12 AM

I understand your misgivings about a ​repair install, ​I too do not want to lose all the effort I put into installing third party programs in particular which I use more than MS apps. I was skeptical about the advice from the tech but in my case at least he was right --- I kept almost everything, there were just two or three programs which did not launch at first but only as a result of broken shortcuts which can happen at any time. However, I only have my own limited experience of this which is why I suggested you research repair install before opting for it. If my memory is not failing me I have a thread about in this Forum so I will look for it and post a link.

Regarding my current difficulty with the Store I now suspect it is not a return of the previous problem (which we share). I can now open and browse the Store indirectly from links in other websites --- ones which promote their own apps which they only distribute via the Store. The reluctance to download new apps still persists, but I have been able to rent a video thought it OK so it is at least partly working, not 'dead and gone' as it was. So I am hopeful about getting it working with a little effort.

#18 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:27 AM

I apologise, the thread I referred to is in the WindowsTenForum. This is a quote from it:  'If you want to do a repair installation, which will keep all of your settings and apps, move the ISO file to the SD card. Mount the ISO file. Run setup.exe from the mounted ISO file."  The link is

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/90261-os-reset-advice-needed.html

#19 N1GHTMAR3

N1GHTMAR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

After almost 2 months, I have not yet taken any further actions, and the glitch still occurs. However, I have recently discovered a potential lead: the download glitch only happens to me on certain drives.

I have 4 storage drives in my computer, in the order I installed them into my PC with as much detail as I remember about them:

• 240GB Samsung EVO SSD, drive C: The glitch does not occur, and apps will successfully download.
  • 1TB Seagate HDD, drive A: The glitch does not occur, and apps will successfully download.
  • 240GB SSD, drive X: The glitch occurs, preventing the installation of apps.
  • 5TB Toshiba X300 HDD, drive R: The glitch occurs, preventing the installation of apps.

I'm not sure what exactly could be causing this discrepancy, and I wouldn't know where to start looking to find the cause of it. Will this make finding and fixing the issue any easier, or am I still stuck with having to reset?

#20 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:25 AM

The operating system is installed in the 240GB EVO SSD which is one of the uneffected drives.   A reset shouldn't have any effect on the two drives experiencing this problem.

How do you have these drives installed?  All of them inside the computer?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#21 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

Make sure Windows Firewall service is running.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users