Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Might want to build, jurys still out...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

I personally ignore benchmarks that say intel is better as really benchmakrs are more as a reference and no indication in real world usage.

Ryzen is good, good for the money and good for the market as Intel has dominated for far too long.

Sure you will need a GPU to use it but GPU's do great for rendering videos too :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

When you look at physical, in game results, the 7700k seems to perform better- and it does.

Most games today, like the lower core, higher single thread, and easier-to-access power of Intel CPUs. The performance difference in single thread between them and AMDs Ryzen, is about 15% (depending on clock speeds and how you measure it). So for games that only use 4 cores well, you see a 10 to 15% performance bump.

For games made today, in general, Intel CPUs are higher/better performing. That is fact.

However, when you look at CPU usage during these games- the Intel CPUs (and I'm referring to the non workstation socket ones), are pegged to 100%. They are running as fast and as hard as they can, using every last resource they can muster. They have ZERO head room left, nada, zilch, nothing. When you look at AMDs Ryzen though, nearly half the CPU is completely unused. These CPUs aren't breaking a sweat, are barely being touched, and are only 10 to 15% behind in benchmarks that only use half of their power.

My point is, the current consoles run 8 core CPUs, and both Vulcan and DirectX12, that the games are being made on top of for PC from here on out, can utilize all the power of AMDs Ryzen. Ryzen has room to do more, where what the quad cores Intel have right now do not. If someone gets a 7700k right now- they're metaphorically shooting themselves in the foot, because in 4 or 5 years. That Intel CPU they bought is going to be a good 40% behind what the Ryzen CPU they could've bought at the time could do. Even further down the road, there will be games that the 4 core Intel literally can not and wil not even launch, because it doesn't meet the minimum core count requirement for a game. Where, it's not even a artificial cut off, the game doesn't know how to handle running all that on 4 cores. 

If you want to still game 5 years from now, on the same CPU, buy AMDs Ryzen.

For some of you that may seem dumb, but "We'll I'll just get a new system then" isn't an option for everyone. Blowing three grand a PC, and 650$ on a graphics card, like it's pocket change, isn't a realistic path for most. To be more realistic, spending 650$ on a PC isn't a option for most people, but when it is, they want it to last as long as possible. I stil buy 25$ Phenom II x6's for 200$ budget builds for people- because that's what they can afford, and you know what? That Phenom made no obvious sense to buy at the time it came out, just like the Ryzen 5/7, but guess what- it's still usable today. 

Edited by SEANIA, 15 August 2017 - 06:52 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#18 dl250

dl250
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Photo manipulation, that's all I know. I could probably find the video again to see what programs he was using. He was more neutral than others on youtube though..

I don't know anyone that has either of these, or I would be more interested in playing with them vs looking at benchmarks.

I'm not looking at getting a 7700k, or a dedicated gaming rig. I might use it for gaming at some point but don't know for sure that i would. The i5 was all esscalation for me. Started with a g4560, looked into upgrades for it, i3 7100, etc, but if i wanted a k series down the road I'd need a clockable mb to go with it, putting that in now would be almost double the cpu cost. All escalation...

When it comes down to it a g4560 would be better than this laptop. The i5 7600k, doubles this things performance, and is the top of my price point for a full build, coming in around the same price as signature series/lower end mac prebuilt... It'd be quite a bit lower if I found some deals, and skips a big chunk of upgrade path... So that's really how I got there, and there isn't much of a cpu upgrade path, but I wouldn't have to upgrade a mb and cpu to fully use k series, there would be at least i7 left. I could risk picking up a used one when someone else upgraded for the latest and greatest.

And with the budget, I more than get that. Definitely no 3k budget for me.. The other side to this, not actually looking for an answer, is how many of those 200$ builds went into a home with one or more phones that cost more. Than unless new cpus need new ram, you don't actually need to buy everything again, you can upgrade with a new cpu and mb, and use most of your old stuff. 

I'm still looking into ryzen. Nobody said they don't make sense , if anything the opposite is true. There are two negatives for me. I don't really want to have to get a gpu until the market changes. Seems they are all going to miners still. If ethereum goes pos, and at the same time the new mining specific cards come out... That for me would be the time to pick up a gpu... They are brand spanking new, and that's a risk. There could be a reward with it, or it could go the other way. The i5 is a little older itself, with not much changed from the previous gen. So less risk to me...

Edited by dl250, Yesterday, 01:07 PM.

#19 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 10:42 PM

The i5 was all esscalation for me. Started with a g4560, looked into upgrades for it, i3 7100, etc, but if i wanted a k series down the road I'd need a clockable mb to go with it, putting that in now would be almost double the cpu cost. All escalation...

In that case, I'd check out the Ryzen R3 series. There's 4 real cores in them, just like the i5, but for only 110$, and only a 15% performance decrease. Unlike the Intel platform, the socket is good till 2020- so plenty of optional upgrade room down the road if you wanted/needed it.

The other side to this, not actually looking for an answer, is how many of those 200$ builds went into a home with one or more phones that cost more.

One or two, but most went into homes with 50$ dollar store smart phones.

A lot of people don't get that, just cause someone has the money to blow on a gaming PC, doesn't mean they want to. They may only be dipping their toes in to see if they like it- so why throw 600$ at if if you can do 200$ and still get a decent experience? Yeah, they may have a 600$ smart phone- but they literally use that every day. Where as with the gaming PC....they might touch it barely once a week. That way if they end up not liking it- no real lose.

don't really want to have to get a gpu until the market changes. Seems they are all going to miners still. If ethereum goes pos, and at the same time the new mining specific cards come out... That for me would be the time to pick up a gpu... 

Actually the lower end market isn't being effected. A Radeon RX 560/460 is still only 100-120$ USD, of it's 100$ MSRP.

Lower end cards don't tend to meet crypto currency miners power/performance ratio requirements. They're also very easy for manufacturers to produce in large enough quantities to out-way any desperate demand from miners. Think its close to 4x the amount of chips they get out of a lower end card-run then the mid teir cards. Lets them keep up with the demand. 

Getting off topic a bit, back onto it- wouldn't be a bad move to pick up one of those. Lets you experiment with GPU rendering in programs.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users