Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second monitor flickering intermittently

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TyrionLannistor

TyrionLannistor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

Dell Vostro 3450, 2.3 GHz, 12 GB RAM running Windows 10 64-bit

Display Adapters: AMD Radeon 6600m and 6700m, Intel HD Graphics 3000

A second external monitor Dell U2312HM attached using VGA cable.

This is a very strange problem that I am having from the last 10 days and I have had no new software update.

My previously connected external monitor started to flicker and before I was irritated enough it stopped flickering. It happened a number of times before I could look up the internet for a solution. I tried connecting my monitor to the laptop of my flatmate and it worked just fine. which implied that my monitor was OK. Then I replaced the VGA cable but it didn't help. I even tried to connect using an HDMI cable but in vain. The problem is that it is difficult to reproduce the issue of flickering as it only occurs intermittently and eventually it had irritated me enough to replace my monitor with a new one. I was quite happy for a couple of days that the issue is finally resolved but to my disappointment, the screen was flickering again. Right now as I write this message, the screen is not flickering but I am not sure until when. :blink:

Other fixes I have already tried:

Uncheck the following as was told in a youtube video: windows error reporting service, Problem reports and solutions control panel support

I tried to change the refresh rate of my Monitor but only 60Hz is available.

Adjusting the clock and phase using the monitor buttons with the background prescribed here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php#clockcalib

Checked if the drivers for my monitor and graphic card are  already updated

Disconnecting laptop charger

Disconnecting any other appliances from the multi-socket plug adapter to exclude any possible EMI.

Rebooting

Please help me solve this unusual issue.

Edited by TyrionLannistor, 12 August 2017 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TyrionLannistor

TyrionLannistor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:18 AM

Hi, everyone. Thanks for stopping by. It is really surprising to find out that the problem was with the plugged-in ethernet cable. The moment I removed it, the flickering was gone.

My eyes can finally relax now.  B)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for letting us know of the happy resolution.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users