Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image viewing help needed in win 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sinine

sinine

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

Hello! Just a quick question. I have Windows 10 Home and the image viewing programme thingy that came with it is in english I guess Photos. Well the thing is when I view pictures with it, it scrolls to another image when I scroll the mouse. For a while when I scrolled the mouse the image would zoom in and out and you had to press on the arrow on the image to get to the next one. But now it scrolls to another image again. How can I make it so that it zooms when I scroll the mouse? I dunno why it changed for a while, maybe updates did something, I dunno.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Seems users had complained to Microsoft, and the functionality might have been changed in the latest updates. See if holding down the Ctrl key as you scroll works, that is the common way of selecting scroll functions.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

I have noticed this behavior becoming more common, and it annoys me to death as well.

Virtually every image viewing/editing software I've ever used has keys specifically dedicated to "next/previous image" and/or areas at the left and right sides of the image you can activate to go to the next one.  I used scroll up for enlarge/zoom/magnify and scroll down to reverse it for a great many years.   Alas, those years appear to be in the past.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

Ooh, the Ctrl key works. Better than nothing! Thanks :)

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

At least it's something! I guess MS can't make it default to please everybody, but you'd wonder that it wouldn't be made a switchable option. I didn't find any hint in my searches that anyone knew of a way to make it default back the other way, but maybe someone will track down a registry key that does it...
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

Platypus wrote, in part:  "I guess MS can't make it default to please everybody, but you'd wonder that it wouldn't be made a switchable option."

And it ain't just MS!!   The amount of griping I hear (some from myself) about default settings that "I don't like" is far too much, and in particular when the default can be reconfigured to suit one's personal taste quite easily.

There is also the problem, too, of "option overload."  It was interesting to see GPS makers go from "you can configure virtually every blessed little detail" regarding display colors, level of detail for labeling not only streets/roads but other things like bodies of water, etc., etc., etc., in the earliest units to, "you'll take these defaults, and here are the few (relatively speaking) things you can customize" approach prevalent today.  Virtually all of that was secondary to customers complaining because they were so overwhelmed at trying to find the thing they wanted to change when they wanted to make what should have been a simple change.  When you've got a thousand options, even if they're arranged carefully and hierarchically, it makes it very difficult to find what you're looking for unless you have had to look on multiple occasions and relatively frequently and developed (no pun intended) navigation skills.  Most people, including myself, don't.  This applies more broadly, too.  Try finding the option you're looking for when you want to make any number of "simple" tweaks to any MS-Office program.  It can be maddening!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users