Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

camera

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dorotheapenizek

dorotheapenizek

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

How do I know whether the program recognises my camera and how do I download photos from it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

I'm not sure which program you are referring to, but most modern cameras will be recognized as a USB mass storage device, and like when you plug in a USB flash drive, the camera storage will show in the Windows Explorer as a removable drive. On that drive there will be a folder called DCIM (Digital Camera IMages), and in it should be a folder with a name related to the camera model. You can copy images from within that folder to wherever you would like to store them.

If you're using a particular image handling program, depending on what it is, it will probably have its own built in method for downloading and storing images, usually in albums so you can readily identify batches.

Edited by Platypus, 12 August 2017 - 08:12 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 dorotheapenizek

dorotheapenizek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

Well,  I can get the DCIM but Windows 10 will not download the new photos I have on my camera as Windows 7 did with no problems.  There are others who seem to have had the same conundrum...

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

What method(s) are you using to copy, and what happens when you try?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

What sort of camera are you using - make and model please, and what sort of computer are you using - make and model please.

My wife and I have several Canons and a Nikon between us and I have tried connecting cameras by cable and using the manufacturer's software to copy them to the computer but I always found it cumbersome, slow and it chewed camera batteries. For almost as long now as we have had digital cameras I have just taken the card out of the camera and plugged it straight into the computer, using Window (File) Explorer to do the transfer. In most cameras the card comes out fairly easily.

Almost all laptops have an SD card reader built in and with my desktop, which hasn't, I use a USB card reader - cheap and readily available.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users