Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Tell....please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question ( from a newbie ) I seem to be getting more and more Tracking Cokkies, and trojans .
and I have not altered my computer settings in any way, I normally only visit the same 6 web sites along with my Google Mail account
now for my Dumb question ...is there any way to tell which of my regular 6 web sites I am getting the Tracking cookies and trojans from..?
I never open any email attachments ( only from close friends ) . I use the following ....

ewido 4 ( paid )
a-Squared
Ad-Aware
Spybot S & D
AVG
Spyware Blaster
SpywareGuard

Running Windows XP Media Edition

Thanks ............. Mypenry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:08 AM

Cookies are easy to control. If you are continuously having problems with trojans then you might not be getting completely cleaned with your present security programs. Using Firefox browser with NoScript extension will prevent most if not all driveby installations of malware. Another very good program to have to help identify bad sites is McAfee SiteAdvisor. It is a free program. Use the directions below to block the cookies in question.

How to block third party cookies in Internet Explorer:
Click start/control panel/double click Internet Options/click privacy tab/click advanced/check override automatic cookie handling/uncheck always allow session cookies/select block third-party cookies/click OK
Third-party cookies track your use of the Internet for advertising purposes. That is why they are considered adware/spyware.

In Firefox click on tools/click options/choose cookie tab/check allow sites to set cookies/check for the originating site only/in keep cookies window choose ask me every time (this will allow you to decide whether to accept first party cookies or not on the site you are viewing. Firefox will remember what you chose when you next visit the same site.)
Click OK
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:29 AM

Personally I have all of the boxes unchecked, so Firefox is set to not allow any cookies.
If a site requires cookies to function properly, and I trust the site, I use the Exceptions dialog, to allow/block specific sites:
How To Allow/allow For Session/block Cookies In Firefox

I also use the McAfee Siteadvisor, that buddy215 recommended.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:18 AM

Thanks Guy's for the advice, I am going to give the recommendations a try ,

Thanks ......... Mypenry

0 user(s) are reading this topic