Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which is the most compact programming language?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:01 PM

Hey, if binary machine code is the lowest level coding language and therefore the longest in terms of characters that you'd have to put in in order to reach your desired programming results, which then is the most dense programming language in existence among the popular ones? Meaning, via which coding language can you write a computer program in the shortest amount of characters, unlike binary, where, if I'm not mistaken, you use 8 characters for a single letter output, for example?

JavaScript? Python, maybe?

Being sloppy doesn't concern me - I know that you are not going to achieve a great level of detail when working with a non-low-level programming language.

TL;DR - Which computer programming language uses the least amount of coding to produce the most amount of program? Which is the opposite of binary machine code?

I apologize if this makes no sense. I am new to this.

Thank you! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 11 August 2017 - 10:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone helped me.:)

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

Again, you have asked a question that has no definite answer, though it may have some general ones.

I'd say one of the most sparse/compact of the popular programming languages in existence today is C.  That being said, depending on what it is you're trying to do with it you could end up writing far more code than you would with a less compact language.

I think I've told you in the past (and I know I've said it, just not certain if it was to you) that one can and should think of programming languages as tools.  Just like you should use a screwdriver to drive screws, a hammer to drive nails, and a drill to create holes you will choose a programming language based on the task you have to do and the ecosystem under which you have to do it.   While you could theoretically drive a nail with a heavy screwdriver handle, were the nails small enough, it makes absolutely no sense to do this.

Virtually every programming language out there has a "circle" within which it is commonly used.   Some of those circles are larger than others.  Some of those circles will overlap, like a Venn diagram, while others will be entirely disjoint.   A good example off the top of my head is that I have never heard of anyone trying to code an operating system of any sort in COBOL, while C is used for massive amounts of the Unix and Linux OS.

If you have a language that's tailored to a specific task or narrow range of tasks it will, by definition, be the most compact for those.  It could be a complete nightmare and spawn grossly long, messy programs if one were to try to use it for a context that it was not designed for.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hey, thanks for all the useful information. I suppose that was all I needed to know. I've made up my mind now. Next time I am dealing with computers-related stuff, I will try to learn computer programming via one of those 'For Dummies' books. First I'll read up on HTML as it has always been of interest to me, plus, isn't it in part embedded into writing comments on Bleeping Computer when I format my text with commands such as [b][b] or [i][i], for example. Afterwards, I will switch to JavaScript or whichever coding language is most popular and widely employed at the time. Thank you! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 14 August 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Until you get that book, you could have a look here - http://htmldog.com/guides/html/beginner/

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Thank you, I love guides that start with "And so it begins! The HTML Beginner Tutorial assumes that you have absolutely no previous knowledge of HTML".:)

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:06 AM