Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Home is activated!?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

My Windows 10 Home (build 1703) is activated, and I never activated it (or cracked it). I'm not a Windows Insider (I logged in with a local account and never changed that).

Why did this happen?

Thank you.

Edited by SupermanPrime, 11 August 2017 - 08:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

If you bought the machine with Windows 10 or upgraded it from a legitimate copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 it has been activated ever since.

It does not matter if you log in with a local account or a Microsoft account, the OS connects to the Microsoft servers and attempts to activate itself (and, unless you have a non-legal version, it does).

It happened because it's the normal course of events.  If you have a copy that has not been activated it will stop working in 30 days unless you buy a license key.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

If you bought the machine with Windows 10 or upgraded it from a legitimate copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 it has been activated ever since.

It does not matter if you log in with a local account or a Microsoft account, the OS connects to the Microsoft servers and attempts to activate itself (and, unless you have a non-legal version, it does).

It happened because it's the normal course of events.  If you have a copy that has not been activated it will stop working in 30 days unless you buy a license key.

I mentioned the local account to "prove" I wasn't an Insider.

This is a clean install on a custom machine (I wiped both my drives, and installed). Maybe Windows used my IP? I never activated it, I always used the "free" version, that doesn't let you customize the look and has the watermark.

I'm pretty confused, because of this:

• You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
  • You bought genuine Windows 10 from the Store and successfully activated Windows 10.
  • You bought a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Store and successfully activated Windows 10.
  • You’re a Windows Insider and upgraded to the newest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on an eligible device that was running an activated earlier version of Windows and Windows 10 Preview.

It's a digital license, and according to Microsoft, those are the only ways to obtain it. I don't have any of those requisites.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by SupermanPrime, 11 August 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,828 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

Has the machine ever had Windows 10 installed on it in the past?  If it has a digital entitlement exists on Microsoft's servers that links to the motherboard and will automatically activate Windows 10 if it is ever reinstalled on the machine.

Did you buy the mobo secondhand?  The previous owner could have used it with Windows 10, which would cause automatic activation.

How did you acquire the copy of Windows 10 that you installed?  Was it after the free period ended but you downloaded it from their Microsoft Windows 10 Upgrade for Assistive Technology Users page?  If so, that will automatically activate.

In any case, count yourself lucky.  You've just saved about $200.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

I mentioned the local account to "prove" I wasn't an Insider.

This is a clean install on a custom machine (I wiped both my drives, and installed). Maybe Windows used my IP? I never activated it, I always used the "free" version, that doesn't let you customize the look and has the watermark.

I'm pretty confused, because of this:

• You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
  • You bought genuine Windows 10 from the Store and successfully activated Windows 10.
  • You bought a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Store and successfully activated Windows 10.
  • You’re a Windows Insider and upgraded to the newest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on an eligible device that was running an activated earlier version of Windows and Windows 10 Preview.

It's a digital license, and according to Microsoft, those are the only ways to obtain it. I don't have any of those requisites.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply.

If absolutely none of the conditions apply to you, then you are a pirate and are running an illegal version of Windows. If you are not a pirate, then Windows 10 is legally activated.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,828 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

I'd say that if none of the conditions applied, yet somehow Microsoft in its infinite algorithmic wisdom activated Windows 10, it is well-nigh impossible to call the person for whom this occurred without their own intervention "a pirate."

Even if they wanted to, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to convince Microsoft that you don't have a legal copy of Windows 10 when they believe you do.

~ Lauren Bacall

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

Brian, maybe you miss understood what I tried to say. What I tried to say is that since it is activated, the OP must have met some condition, advertised or unadvertised, that he does not know about.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,828 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

Brian, maybe you miss understood what I tried to say. What I tried to say is that since it is activated, the OP must have met some condition, advertised or unadvertised, that he does not know about.

I actually got your drift, but really was reacting to the concept of "accidental pirate."   The two things really are diametrically opposed.

Like you said, if Microsoft thinks you're activated then you're activated - regardless of the underlying reason.

~ Lauren Bacall

#9 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

Ok, my computer once had an activated Windows 10 copy, but I no longer have the key. I was planning to leave it as it was, without activation. I guess it all worked out.

Thank you both!

#10 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

Once Windows 10 is activated it stores you pc information on MS servers (that's what digital entitlemnet is). So when you install Windows 10 again it checks to see if you PC has digital entitlement and activates it if it does.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users