Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Document Disappearance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbidoso

Bobbidoso

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

I wrote a document on word pad, I gave the document a title and saved the document but it disappeared anyway.  Is there anyone out there who can tell me how to get it back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

You can do a search of your entire system for said document...using a tool such as Everything Search Engine - http://www.voidtools.com/ .

Louis

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

I can heartily second the recommendation made by Hamluis.  For those of us who are "old school" and routinely search by file name rather than file content the Everything Search is second to none.  I've used it in place of Windows Search for the vast majority of my searches on my machines for years now.

It also lives up to its name, and searches in files and folders that Windows Search does not, which sometimes turns up things that heaven only knows how you (the end user) saved or moved them there in the first place.  It prevents a lot of "black hole syndrome" where something has seemingly disappeared into one.

Edited by britechguy, 12 August 2017 - 10:29 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

Does the document not appear in the Recent documents list? If it doesn't, it may not actually have been saved.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Bobbidoso

Bobbidoso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

The title of the document appears in the Recent Document List, but When I click on the title the document does not appear in Word Pad.  All of my other titles, which there are many, all of them appear when clicked on.  This is the first time this has happened to me.  Probably going to have to write it over, but it never turns out the same.

#6 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

Right mouse click on it and => Open file location 

#7 Bobbidoso

Bobbidoso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

I installed "Everything", but no results.  I right clicked my title and got these messages: "Show Quick Access Toolbar Above", but nothing about "Open file location.  But, tell you what, let us just forget about trying to find this document because now that I think about it I believe I can do a better job rewriting it.  But thank you all for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users