Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 update 1703 failed and in a loop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 doodah

doodah

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Hello, hope I'm posting this in the right place. I am using a Dell Aspire, Windows 10. Verison 1607 (OS Build 14393. 1593)

Today my laptop has been running really, really slowly and I noticed there was a Windows Update (Feature update to Windows 10, Version 1703) which had failed. I tried downloading it again but it took ages, said it had downloaded, but then it failed again. I ran the Windows Troubleshooting report, it came up with “Potential Windows Update Database error detected” – Not Fixed. And then “Repair Windows Update Database Corruption: Onen troubleshooting step to resolve WU issues is to delete and re-download updates to your computer” which I did. It looks like it’s downloaded the update but then comes up with the original message that the installation has failed.

So, I’m stuck in a loop at the moment, with a very slow laptop and this update that doesn’t want to work.

I’m not very technically minded but I’m wondering if there’s any way I can delete or ignore the update which might speed up my laptop? Any help would be brilliant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Windows 10. Version 1607 is not possible to update to Windows 10 Version 1703 using Windows own built in updating system. 9 computers of 10 will not work.
Download current Windows 10, Version 1703 and install from DVD/USB and everything works correctly.

1. Download Media creation tool and make it - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
  2. Or go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by zainmax, 11 August 2017 - 03:19 PM.

#3 doodah

doodah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

Thank you zainmax. I'll follow your instructions now! Fingers crossed.

#4 doodah

doodah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:35 AM

Your advice worked zainmax - thank you very much!

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

Your advice worked zainmax - thank you very much!

Good to hear that everything went as should, ie everything is OK!
In the future, I always recommend this option if there are major updates or upgrades.
I wish You all the best!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

Another suggestion for others doing updates.  One of the first things I do is make a restore point so that if things go sideways I can make a quick recovery.  Another option for the Creator's update (1703) is to us the ISO available.  This is especially true for those with limited bandwidth.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

I'm a little puzzled here.  I've had so far 5 computers that updated automatically, when their turn came around, from 1607 to 1703.  The update process ran normally in all 5 and didn't require any tweaking at all.  All 5 of them - my 2 at home, 2 in the water office, and one belonging to a friend - continue to operate normally and unproblematically (at least so far as Windows 10 and Windows-related issues are concerned).

So what am I missing here?

#8 ywallet

ywallet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

I'm a little puzzled here.  I've had so far 5 computers that updated automatically, when their turn came around, from 1607 to 1703.  The update process ran normally in all 5 and didn't require any tweaking at all.  All 5 of them - my 2 at home, 2 in the water office, and one belonging to a friend - continue to operate normally and unproblematically (at least so far as Windows 10 and Windows-related issues are concerned).

So what am I missing here?

You are missing nothing, this post is for folks who are having trouble installing the creators update 1703.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

@saluqi

There are those of us who consistently have great success with updates and minimal problems with our computers.  But there are a number of factors which can make this work, and number of factors which will make this process problematic. There isn't anything to be puzzled about, things just happen.  Computer have problems, connections to downloads have faults, user errors are made, etc.  Just be thankful that your are one of the people who don't have these problems.  Having said that, I hope this hasn't jinxed you. :hysterical:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'll also add that when "forcing" a major feature update, whether because someone doesn't want to wait or because it fails in some way via the normal Windows Update process, I have had nothing but success following these instructions:  Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

For all practical intents and purposes you are reloading Windows 10 itself in its entirety with the latest version while also being able to keep your files and apps/application programs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

Using the ISO file is also faster to download, this is important for those who don't have a broadband connection available.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

Using the ISO file is also faster to download, this is important for those who don't have a broadband connection available.

Yep, and there's also the additional option of, when installing, accepting/declining having the installer look for the latest updates "post ISO creation."

If one has an internet connection one really should accept, but I have been in instances where I don't at the time of running the update and you can still complete it successfully and the normal Windows Update process will snag those "post ISO creation" updates when you next have an internet connection and Windows Update runs its next check.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users