Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijacked? Clicking anything opens a new default web browser window

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Quattrow

Quattrow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

UPDATE: ​I've pinpointed the problem and will be doing the works to fix it, a moderator may delete this topic. Thank you

Greetings to the BleepingComputer community! It is my first time here and i usually do not register on forums like this when i encounter computer problems (as existing solutions are already present in numerous websites and/or it is easily solved). But now, i'll make an exception, as i cannot identify what's causing my current problem.

I'm currently running on this HP laptop the latest build of Windows 10 Home x64 (Single Language), the Creators Update, 1703 (10.0.15063.540)

Just last night, i've noticed that clicking on any area of the screen will open a new window from my default web browser, which was Mozilla Firefox, while rendering the whole screen "unresponsive" (e.g. Buttons/Icons won't highlight when hovered over, Start menu does not open, Right clicks won't work. All of these can be done again after closing all those windows). It does not happen instantly once i've started Windows, it happens randomly some time after the OS is running. I've already uninstalled Mozilla Firefox (which makes nothing as the default web browser for Windows) but now instead of launching Firefox when clicking the screen, it launches that dialog box Windows uses to ask what app i want to use to open whatever i opened/clicked (the only browser left in the computer is Microsoft Edge, and i'm not setting it as default as it may end up spamming me Edge windows)

I've suspected these that might have caused the problem:
1.) [Update problem]Also last night, i updated some Windows components via Windows Update. As with new releases, things may not work well.
2.) [Virus/Malware/Adware/Spyware] I'm suspecting my flash drive has something to do with it, i've noticed it happening after a while i've plugged in my flash drive.

I've already done a full scan using Avira Free Antivirus and a threat scan from Malwarebytes Anti-malware Free; both came up clean.

This is a laptop, and i use it for school projects and such thus i end up bringing it to school. Some classmates ask to plug in their flash drives and i let them do so (dumb idea, huh?), while checking if there are threats detected in it. The last time i brought it to school was Monday, and this just appeared at a Thursday night, so it can't be them. I'm currently on my iPad mini, as my laptop became a pain in the ass.

I may have explained too much, but i really need some help, i can clarify anything if it is needed to fix this problem of mine.

Thank you!
-Quattrow

Edited by Quattrow, 11 August 2017 - 10:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users