Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Advice/Recommendations for a decent gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Game_On

Game_On

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hello!  I've searched through the forum before posting this, but wasn't able to find anything in the way of what I'm looking for and am thus starting a new topic.  If there is a post here that responds to my question a link sending me there would be appreciated.  Otherwise, I'm here to seek advice and recommendations from those who are more experienced in gaming PCs. 

I'm fairly new to gaming (less than a year) and have recently started looking online for a new gaming PC. I've been looking mainly at desktops (preferred), but am open to the possibility of a laptop as well.  Currently I play only World of Warcraft which I know doesn't require much, but being that I am playing on my main PC at home which heats up from overplay and lags in Legion (can't do dungeons or raids with extreme lagging) I'm looking for something that I can use solely for playing games.

As everyone knows, shopping for a new computer can be overwhelming and confusing. I am not looking to build anything myself.  I have been looking at the following computers and would like to know if anyone uses these, has had problems with them, would or would not recommend them etc.  If there are different/better recommendations I'd like to hear those as well. I provided answers to some of the questions in the new purchase template below. 

Specs I have decided on: Intel i7 processor, Nividia GeForce GTX 1080 gcard (6 or 8 gb), 16-32 gb of memory (are there other recommendations or something I overlooked?) 

1) Asus ROG STRIX GD30CI:  (https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-STRIX-GD30CI/)

2) Asus G11CD-DS71  (http://store.asus.com/us/search?q=g11&s_c=1&_ga=2.236868930.2134534768.1502465354-2134948054.1502465354)

3) Alienware Aurora: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/compare?ocs=dpcwxt02s,dpcwxt03s,dpcwxt04s

I'd also like feedback on the Cerebrus keyboard. http://store.asus.com/us/item/201605AM210000011/A45976-ASUS+Cerberus+Dual+LED+Color+Backlit+Gaming+Keyboard

As I do with any purchase I read online reviews from other users. The reviews for the ROG Strix are not all positive.  Reviews for Alienware are mostly negative/scary.   Soooooo......I'd like to hear from others who may have these computers and how they run or if they've had problems with computers not working when received, breaking down after 3-4 months of use, computer crashes when browsing online, and/or computer turns itself on and off on it's down during operation.  Please feel free to share what computer YOU use if you find it to be a reliable machine.

The new computer purchase template is:

My budget for the new computer is: no more than $2000

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Primary: Gaming. Would like to be able to browse on Internet.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? None other than what comes with the computer.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?  Right now just World of Warcraft.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? No.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? No.

Will you be overclocking? Should I be concerned about this?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? I'm located in the USA

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1 (the one I currently use)

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

If you ask me, OEM machines suck. If you can build PC on your own, you get much better parts for better price. Alternatively many shops offer pre-built machines where you can select parts. Are those options possible? If you want laptop, that's totally different story.

To be honest, if you want to play WOW, then around $150 video card is more than enough. As video card prices are very high, it's money wasting to buy anything better that is needed right now. Video card is very easy to replace.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 11 August 2017 - 01:07 PM.

#3 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

Drilling, what do you constitute (in your mind) as an "OEM" machine. Meaning, what popular OEM machines (Dell,HP, Acer, etc), and what other gaming OEM's do you think suck? I am assuming you also mean Velocity Micro, Newegg's own ABS systems, Xidax, Ibuy, Cyberpower, Neuron, Maingear, AVAdirect, Digital Storm, Blaze, Puget?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:43 AM

That "OEM machine" term is quite broad. I consider all those Dell, HP, Acer etc OEM machines bad. Those "OEM's" where you can actually select parts (Velocity Micro, Newegg's own ABS systems, Xidax, Ibuy, Cyberpower, Neuron, Maingear, AVAdirect, Digital Storm, Blaze, Puget) are much better but still building own machine is best choice. What's right term for those Velocity Micro etc machines? Are they also OEM machines? As those companies usually allow customization but Dell etc does not so there should be different term for those.

#5 Game_On

Game_On
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:36 AM

Thank you both for your responses and thank you Zone for making more sense of OEM. ;-)  I now have some additional options to research. 

Perhaps a bit more information was needed from my end:  I currently do not have a gaming computer and do not want to continue using my personal computer with it's outdated components. My personal computer also gets very hot which is why I'm looking for something that can handle gaming and the heat which is why I was wondering which computers others out there are using.  It seems that most have the tech savvy to build their own.

Hope to hear from some others.

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:08 AM

You could certainly build something superior to Aurora 7700K-based rig for less, or with MUCH better features (better MB, PSU, faster storage and more RAM, Win10 Pro) for same cost....(I'm sure most understand Dell is not there to barely break even, however)

Unless you are sure you are going to be ordering things in the next three weeks, you might want to see if the 8600K/8700K are going to be options by October...; possible these options might exceed 7700K performance for similar money.

Although hard to fathom around here, I understand not everyone likes parts ordering, hardware assembly, testing, troubleshooting if things go wrong, etc.  And although I personally would not order one, finding them marked up by at least $300 or so (their $1800+ 7700K-based system), I would not say they are 'crap' as we had Core2Duo Optiplex Dells running in the office since 2006 until just a month ago. Total problems since I arrived at the office 6 years ago? One cpu heat sink fan of 9 total systems bearing seized up...

Also, unless you are getting a monitor that supports higher than 1920x1080@60 Hz refresh rates, much of your gaming needs might be done by a GTX1060 or so. (Dell likes to charge at least an extra $150 for a $500 retail card, BTW, and an extra $250 for $120 more memory, etc...)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

Are you willing to build?  I worked with a guy who bought Alienware and after returning two he built and was much happier.  He didn't want to build because a previous build gave him problems, but after dealing with the Alienware he was more than willing to build again.

I would highly recommend going with a desktop for a gaming machine.  That allows you to swap out your video card in two years and update your machine, not possible with almost all laptops.  I'm a World of Warcraft (WoW) player (Lothar, Madoran, and Nazgrel) and my machine was built in August 2012 and I'm on my third video card as the processor is fine for WoW.

#8 Game_On

Game_On
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

MDD and Kilroy.  Thank you both for your responses and advice.  I have absolutely no idea where to start with a build. Well...for starters I DO have an ASUS computer case with ASUS components in it already, but the computer isn't running. The computer shop I took it to couldn't tell me what was really wrong with it. :unsure:  I suppose having the case with some working components is a good start, but I'm at a loss where to go from here and thus thought it was more simple to just get something ready built.  I suppose ladies can learn how to built computers too. ;-)  I know what I want/need so I suppose I'll go from there after finding someone locally who can show me how. Kilroy - If you ever bump into Odentonia or Muricaacirum (Outland) say hi!

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

If building is out of the question HP has the Omen series that is within your price range.  The top of the line one is probably what you're looking for, it only has a 1070 and not a 1080 video card and I didn't see an option to change out parts.

Falcon Northwest is a boutique builder, but they are outside of your price range.

You may be able to find a local company that will assemble a machine with parts you select, this is how I handled my first custom PC (back in the 90s).  After the machine was built I did all of the upgrades and became comfortable enough to build my machines since then.

#10 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

If you get a build from a small supplier you can generally get a great build. I build computers and only charge a $50 build fee, I use your hardware you select or you can buy a preconfigured system.

You just have to shop around for a builder if you are not comfortable with the work. Most any computer shop provides a service like this for a small fee and should do a 24 hour burn in test as well.

I Love Lamp!

#11 Game_On

Game_On
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

The last two responses are much appreciated.  I have an idea where to start now and get things going. I'm glad I waited for some additional responses since first starting this topic. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users