Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shall I simply hit 'Delete'?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

Hi, I've got a big game taking up a huge chunk of my hard drive space and want to get rid of it, but when I hit 'Uninstall' in Control Panel > Add/Remove programs, nothing happens. And there's also no 'uninstall' option in the game folder itself or on the game disk. 

My finger is hovering over the 'Delete' button to consign it to the Recycle bin, but I've heard dire warnings not to do that because apparently some gunk will still be left behind to mess up my system.

Anybody got any advice how I can get rid of the game cleanly? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

If using Windows you should use a software removal tool such as "Revo Uninstaller" free version and carefully follow the prompts.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Also use a file searching tool as "Filelocator Lite" to cleanup what traces that were left behind.

https://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?type=filelocatorlite&page=home

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

Which version of Windows are you using?

#4 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

MickinPlymouthUK:

I would suggest downloading the trial version of Revo Uninstaller Pro.  If the normal uninstall does not work, it has a "Forced Uninstall" option where you locate that main game executable file.  Sometimes program installations do get corrupted; or, the developer did not want to have his/her program uninstalled.  There is a 30-day free trial for the Pro version.  Personally, I have the paid versions of Revo Uninstaller Pro on both of my computers.  Few programs uninstall themselves completely.

I definitely concur with the "dire warnings" that you have received: it is bad news to just simply delete a program"s files and folders in the Windows environment.  All kinds of registry entries could be left behind that could really bork your computer.  As a part of Revo's uninstall routine, it always creates a restore point and a registry backup so that you can get back, providing that you have the Windows installation disks or have created a Windows Startup Repair disk.

If it was MY computer, I would do a full system image first to an external hard drive, with free imaging software such as Easeus Todo Backup Home Free or Macrium Reflect Free (listed in alphabetic order) (I own the paid versions of both and use them for alternate weekly backups of all of my partitions).  Also ensure that you create their "Recovery" USBs/DVDs, so that you can boot your computer to run the program you select, and restore back, should something go wrong with a Revo "Forced Uninstall."

Caution is always WISE.  The old saying is that: "Nothing forgets faster than a computer."  The DELETE key is VERY powerful and can be irreversible is there is no backup.

Just my two cents.  Have a great day ... and, good luck!

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users