Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop PC - fan running full speed with no display

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sync_baz

sync_baz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hi,

I've had this problem for a few years and just dealt with it as it hadn't been crucial to my PC use, but it seems to be getting worse and locks me out from time to time now.

CPU: Dual Core 2.5GHz Intel Celeron Processor G540

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5450

PSU: Corsair CX430

Motherboard: GA-H61M-S2PV

RAM: Crucial 2x4GB (8GB), DDR3, 240 PIN, PC3

A few years ago (2015 roughly) everything worked fine. I only had Windows 7 64-bit at the time and one day when trying to wake the PC from 'sleep' the CPU fan came on full with nothing displaying on the screen, so I had to turn it off using the button on the front. This kept happening anytime I tried to use sleep/hibernate, so I stopped using sleep/hibernate.

A few months later (2016) and just after shutting down the PC, I try to turn it back on again but the same thing happens, CPU fan runs full with no display.
I've since noticed that it tends to take around an hour after turning it off for it to be possible to turn on again.

At this point I tried most of the recommended options from Google i.e turning on with only essential components, just one stick of ram, remove GPU and try onboard graphics, ram testing programs etc. From what I remember the only option I didn't try was a new PSU. None of these fixes worked and after turning on/off many times with the button, it corrupted my hard drive. Long story short after a few hours it turned on and I reinstalled windows and a few months later I installed Linux Mint for dual booting.

The pc can be restarted with none of these problems occuring.

The past few days the problems have been getting worse and it's difficult to turn the computer on at all even after 12+hours of being off. I eventually got it running yesterday but no such luck today yet.

This sound like overheating to me but I'm not 100% what it is that's overheating? CPU seems like the main culprit but I just wanted to check in case anyone more experienced than me believes it's the motherboard or something else. The ram has since been upgraded to what you can see above (used to be 2x2GB) and the problem continues. New graphics card too (identical after I snapped a part off the old one).

Thanks for any help that can be given.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

usually when fans fun at full speed it's because the thermal bond between the heatsink and chip has been lost.

pull the heatsink and clean all thermal paste and then re-apply new thermal paste and then re-mount the heatsink.

#3 sync_baz

sync_baz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

usually when fans fun at full speed it's because the thermal bond between the heatsink and chip has been lost.

pull the heatsink and clean all thermal paste and then re-apply new thermal paste and then re-mount the heatsink.

Thank you :) I had some arctic silver 5 lying around so I was able to replace it today (probably should have done it a long time ago).

It didn't turn on after I reapplied the thermal paste so I'll wait till tomorrow to try again. Is it possible that the CPU could be permanently damaged given this has been a problem for a year or two?

Edited by sync_baz, 11 August 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

I would look for swollen capacitors as that to me is what it sounds like.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#5 sync_baz

sync_baz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:05 AM

I would look for swollen capacitors as that to me is what it sounds like.

Thanks for your help.

I had a quick look at them yesterday, and just double and triple checked them today after seeing your post. No leaking or bulging from what I can tell.

#6 sync_baz

sync_baz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:18 AM

Ok, so I left the pc running for about 10 hours yesterday (Saturday). Didn't use it much but I read that it can take up to 200 hours of use for the temperatures to regulate correctly, so I figured I'd leave it on.

When I went to turn it on this morning (Sunday) it didn't come on. Same situation with fans and display. Is it true about thermal paste needing that long to get the temperatures in check? Not really sure what else to try.

Edit: Turned my pc on this morning (Monday) then accidentally turned it off at the switch about ten seconds later. It isnt turning on again. How could it overheat in 10 seconds!? I guess it's something else but I don't know what.

Edited by sync_baz, 14 August 2017 - 04:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users