Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor does not recognize graphics card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Orko

Orko

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

Hello, I'm having a repeating problem in which my monitor is does not recognize my graphics card, and there's just a message on the screen saying "no signal" whenever I turn my computer on with the graphics card connected to the monitor. Sometimes it does recognize the graphics card and it turn on normally, but it's maybe 1 in 40 times I try to turn the computer on. There's a red light going on and off inside the graphics card itself when the monitor doesn't recognize it, but when the monitor does recognize it and it boots properly the light isn't flashing. It works fine when I connect it to the integrated graphics card, but obviously that means I can't use my graphics card which sucks. I've tried switching cables, thinking maybe the problem is something faulty with the cable connecting my PC to the monitor, using HDMI connection, and switching monitors, but the problem persists, which makes me think It's a problem with the graphics card. Mind you, I have this computer for about 8 years and most of the time it worked fine, I don't know why it decided to go faulty now. 

The card I'm using is either ATI Radeon HD 4800 or NVIDIA GeForce 7100 (the reason I'm not sure which one it is, is because checking in device manager shows me both are connected).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

One possible reason for it going faulty just now is '8 years'. Electronics don't last for ever and the fact that your on-board graphics work fine does point the finger at your graphics card. It would be worth your while, if you haven't already done so, to unplug it and any connections to it and then remount it

You have in effect done a substitution test by using the on-board graphics but the way to be certain would be to try another graphics card. Do you have an old one or a spare, or could you borrow one ?  From your description the blinking red light does suggest it is indicating a fault condition.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users