Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Drive Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

Lately when my computer goes to sleep. When I press a key to take it out sleep mode. it goes back to a black screen and states

Disk Drive Error

I found a way around it to get it "working" and that is to re start it, and go into Boot selection and choose Hard Disk as 1st boot  (which it already is), it re starts and goes back to the Disk Drive Error...  So I hold power and re start the computer and it comes back on, Shows The Windows Logo and loading thing..  and seems to work just fine.. However, when it comes back on it does not go to Windows Log In where I have to enter a password it goes back to where the computer was when it went to sleep.. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

Computer make and model, operating system ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

have you checked out its S.M.A.R.T values?

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

Its a CyberPowerPC, FX-4300, 16GB RAM and and GT 720 GPU..

I have scanned the drive and no errors have been found

#5 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

It happened again this morning, except for the this.

When going into boot options by pressing F12, instead of just giving me the options of

bootbale drives which is what I would just select, then it would give me the boot disk error again, and then on re start it would re start and go back to what evere screen it was on when it went to sleep..

It actually listed the Toshiba HDD, I selected that and it also loaded just fine...

Since it listed the HDD I decided to shut the computer down and then turn it back on... which I rarely ever shut it down completely unless I'm on vacation or nobody will home for a few days.. On restart it loaded normally and to the Windows password screen....

Could there be something wrong with sleep mode only?

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

I have no personal experience but I have seen the school of thought expressed that sleep is for laptops not desktops. Why this should be so I don't know, but I do know that there are those on BC who have expressed this opinion.

My own desktop is set 'Sleep - never' and is either on or off and if I am going to be away for it for any significant length of time normally i turn it off. Sorry I can't be more definite.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

FYI, scanning the drive for errors and showing it's SMART data are two separate things.

scanning the drive will show any bad sectors or corruption.

SMART values show you the history of errors, something like the Health tab in Defaggler will show these values.

Also, no PC should be left on 24/7, they need turning off, oh, I don't know, say once a week or so.

Main reason is to refresh the RAM and it gives Windows a 'clean start'.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users