Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to get Dell WD15 dock to work with ASUS ROG GL552VW laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danno74

danno74

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

Greetings,

Have a new WD15 Thunderbolt dock I am trying to get to work with two monitors connected to an ASUS GL552VW laptop. USBs, Ethernet and audio that is connected to dock all work fine. But the VGA and HDMI monitors connected do not. The HDMI monitor works fine when I directly connect it to the laptop, but not when I connect it through the dock.

I have tried the troubleshooting tips in this: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln29...

I have installed the ASMedia Host Controller from here, twice for good measure:http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-...

ASUS support refuses to help me. I'm working on seeing if I can do the BIOS update.

Any advice? Will this not work with a non Dell laptop?

Thank you very much, quite frustrated.

- Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

I'm assuming you have Windows 10. According to Dell the docking station works for non-Dells. When you press the Windows key + P is dual monitors set? 

I'm not sure but perhaps the docking station gets confused because the computer has two Graphics chipsets. Is there a dual monitor setting available for the Nvidia chipset? There should be a Nvidia icon in Control Panel under large icons. You are trying to connect two additional monitors in addition to the laptop monitor?

Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 530 
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M with 2G/4G GDDR5 VRAM

#3 danno74

danno74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

Sorry, yes it is W10 Home.

Under the Intel, NVIDIA, and windows graphic properties, there are no monitors listed. When I unplug the HDMI and plug it directly into the laptop, it shows up and works fine in all 3 places.

#4 danno74

danno74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

When I plug the HMDI into the dock and hit windows P, I choose the option but nothing happens, still doesn't see them.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

Under the Intel, NVIDIA, and windows graphic properties, there are no monitors listed

Monitors should be listed especially under the Windows graphics properties.  I think at this point you may want to contact Dell Support. If they cannot solve the problem I would RMA it. It's possible the Dock is not compatible with the ROG laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users