Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Gaming Headset not working

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

Hey guys, hope you can help with a frustrating problem.

I recently bought a new gaming headset - Hyper X Cloud 2. This headset has 2 modes, one where you can use them as regular headphones, plugged into a 3.5 jack and that works perfectly. The other is for gaming/mic use. You plug it in via USB - no luck here. I am not getting any sound through them and mic doesn't work. When I plugged it in initially it said that the device was updating and that went through. It apparently doesn't need any drivers. When I go to Playback Devices, it isn't listed there at all. All I have is Speakers, Realtek Digital Output, and Realtek Digital Output (Optical) ... none of these appear to be it by another name as when I remove the headset USB all those options remain.

When I go to device manager under USB I can see it lists HyperX 7.1 Audio, with the little yellow exclamation mark next to it. Doesn't seem to do anything when you search for drivers online (as you don't need any). But not sure what else I can do. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here. 

FYI I am running Windows 10

This is super frustrating as the very limited instructions that come with it seem to suggest you just plug in and thats it. 

Also when I plug the device straight into the 3.5 jack on my PC (not into the speakers) if I plug it in the audio (green) jack I get sound just fine, but if I plug it into the mic (pink) jack I don't get any audio through the headset and the mic doesn't seem to work either.

Hope someone is able to help!

Edited by thepokey, 10 August 2017 - 08:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:22 AM

Further to this, I plugged the headset via USB into my laptop and it appears to work perfectly. Shows up properly in device manager/playback devices, sound comes through fine, mic test works. No matter which USB port on my PC I use though it is as if the PC just doesn't recognise it. In device manager it seems to maybe think the problem is that it doesn't have any drivers, which it doesn't, but it's not supposed to. So I'm just not sure how to get the PC to recognise it properly.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:30 AM

Hi. Can you have a look at your c:\Windows\inf folder and see if there is a file called usb.inf present? This file being missing or corrupt is a possible cause of USB detection problems. 

If it's not there, if you search the Windows folder for usb.inf, there should be a copy in one of the repository folders, which you can copy/paste to the Windows\inf folder

Edited by jonuk76, 11 August 2017 - 05:32 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:34 AM

Hey thanks for your reply!

I just checked and there is a usb.inf file in that folder

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

OK, not quite the same problem I've had in the past then (although the symptoms are identical - standard USB devices failing to start with an "unable to load driver" error).

Have you tried uninstalling the HyperX devices through Device Manager and selecting "detect new hardware" to force redetection?

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

Just tried that then, whether you uninstall and then unplug/re-plug back in, or, if you just scan for new hardware it immediately shows up again in the 'other devices' with the yellow exclamation mark. 

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

Just an idea then, but it sounds so similar to issues I was having with a mouse, I think it's worth a try..  To be on the safe side I'd recommend making a system restore point first, which will allow you to restore to where it was before if anything "weird" happens.

Go to Windows\inf and rename usb.inf and usb.pnf (if present) to usb.inf.old and usb.pnf.old

Search the Windows folder for usb.inf and it should find a backup copy somewhere in Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

Copy the usb.inf file from the file repository to the Windows\inf folder.

Uninstall the HyperX devices in device manager

Reboot.

What this should do is cause it to redetect all USB devices, hopefully including the headset.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

I can give that a go .. but silly question - how do I set a restore point?

And, if it was something like this, wouldn't that mean that any device plugged into the USB port would have issues? As it stands, all my other USB devices - phone, HDD, keyboard, mouse etc all work fine in all ports.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

How to create Restore Point in Windows 10 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point

I thought that too, but in my case all my usual USB stuff worked fine (Printer, USB Audio device, Keyboard, flash drives etc.) worked fine. But a new wireless mouse dongle would not be detected, and complained of missing drivers. Obviously, there are no manufacturer drivers for a USB mouse dongle as it's a standard device.  After going through it on different forums, eventually this solution came to light.

BTW the .pnf file is created by Windows automatically after hardware detection routine is run.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

Got the restore point done, but it won't let me rename or delete the usb.inf file. It says you need system admin to do it, even when I right click and rename as admin. It says I need trustedinstaller permission and won't allow it to be done.

Also, when searching in the folders, I can't find any other usb.inf files listed. The closest is a c_usb.inf file by the look of it

Edited by thepokey, 11 August 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:41 AM

Drat.  TrustedInstaller is the "above admin" process Windows uses for system protected files.  It must have changed in Windows 10 then (thinking about it my issue was on Windows 7).  Apologies for any confusion. 

Logically, if the file is protected by TrustedInstaller, then if anything is wrong with it, it should be repaired by the system file checker (run sfc /scannow in an admin command prompt).  This is worth doing anyway.

I'll do some reading to see if I can see any similar problems or solutions out there.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

I just get "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." when I try to run the scannow in admin cmd  .... not having the best of luck!

I thought I'd give talking to microsoft a try but that is becoming extremely painful, whoever it is is far more concerned with my feelings and emotions and their customer service rating haha

edit: Microsoft chat guy is, and I quote "101% confident I will solve this problem for you" ... so, yeah, not holding my breath!

Edited by thepokey, 11 August 2017 - 08:00 AM.

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:18 AM

I love it when they say things like that :lmao:   Looking at MS's support forum, I'm not so confident. Lots of people with USB class compliant device issues on Windows 10, few solutions.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

Yeah he just said "can I email you some documents that I am certain will fix it?" and I said thats fine and he was all "well I'm glad I fixed your issue today, bye!" and no email haha

There's plenty who have the issue .. some people with similar issues seem to have found some fixes. But plenty of threads scattered around the internet where the threads sort of end with no resolution so I'm not sure if/how they found a solution for it

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

Brilliant.  Make sure to leave the appropriate feedback if the documents never arrived.  Another common palm off is "contact the device manufacturer"... Of course pointless because you already know they work.

The error in SFC may be down to the trustedinstaller service not running - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-resource-protection-could-not-start-the-repair-service

Here's a possible workaround for some USB device detection issues. I've never tried it, I'm doubtful it provides a long term solution, but it can't hurt and is worth a try - https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/windows-10-usb-device-driver-load-failure-fix/

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users