Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat messed everything up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:56 AM

I tried to reformat my Asus laptop. It never came with a Windows 7 cd so I hit F9 after I reboot. It tried to recover the partition and went through a series of reboots. When it finally loaded, it wouldn't recongginze my wireless hardware so I couldn't connect wirelessly to the internet. I went to device Mgmt and under networking, there were only two Bluetooth. So what can I do? I don't see any 802.1 wireless cards. There are a bunch of unknown devices under "others".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:57 AM

You can go to the Asus website...and attempt to locate the drivers for your specific model laptop.  You can then download them to USB device...transport them to your system.

You can use someone else's computer to do this, if yours cannot access the Internet.

Louis

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

do you have an ethernet port on the computer?....if so you can plug directly into your router,

assuming that works you can try to download/install your wireless driver, and drivers for any "yellow flag" in device manager

Edited by mikey11, 10 August 2017 - 07:21 AM.

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

Windows will fail to recognize some devices until the drivers are installed, you should look up the driver package on asus's website

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#5 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

Mikey11 yes there is ethernet port but when I plug directly into the router it doesn't connect to the internet. Maybe I need to reboot my computer or reboot the router or something. It's not plug and play so the router is on one mode of wireless only and doesn't know when there is a hard wire in. Strange

#6 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

HamLuis and datcoolguy, when I reformatted my other Asus laptop, all drivers were installed. How come this particular Asus laptop, is missing the wireless router driver, and touchpad?  Doesn't it usually automatically install the basic drivers?  I have manually installed the wireless and touchpad drivers to a external usb using my other computer and installed it on tis laptop.  So now my wireless and mouse is now working.  

However, I still have these devices showing yellow.

Under "Other Devices" I have 

1)  PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller.

2)  Unknown Device

3)  Unknown Device

4)  Unknown Device

5)  Unknown Device

6)  Unknown Device

7)  Unknown Device

8)  Unknown Device

When I right click "update driver" it will not be able to do it.  I go to the Asus website but there isn't one driver for the entire laptop.  I have to guess what the first  one is ....BIOS, VGA, mouse, USB, utilities, etc  How do I find these?

UPDATE - I did a google search and found out that I had to download the driver listed below to solve the issue above.  Not very intuitive at all from the names.

• Intel® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver

Edited by irvineboy, 10 August 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

yep! you need to go to the manufacture website and download your network drivers on a different machine then install them on your machine.

then you can deal with the rest of your drivers from your laptop.

#8 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

yep! you need to go to the manufacture website and download your network drivers on a different machine then install them on your machine.

then you can deal with the rest of your drivers from your laptop.

Why was it that I did not have to do this with my other Asus laptop when I reformatted it?  All drivers, including the network driver, were automatically loaded.

Both are Asus laptops.

Edited by irvineboy, 10 August 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

Because...the drivers cache on one system...does not naturally match the drivers cache on a different system.  Drivers come out/are developed at different times of the year.

If you used the factory restore function to install each anew...it would seem that the drivers which originally worked for each system...would be part of the factory restore mechanism.

If you actually used a valid Windows install disk to format/install...then it's a tossup as to whether that disc would contain the drivers for a given system.  That's why manufacturers make drivers available at their respective websites, although I think they are trying to minimize doing so these days.

Louis

#10 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

Mikey11 yes there is ethernet port but when I plug directly into the router it doesn't connect to the internet. Maybe I need to reboot my computer or reboot the router or something. It's not plug and play so the router is on one mode of wireless only and doesn't know when there is a hard wire in. Strange

sounds like your ethernet adapter needs a driver also,

your going to have to use a different computer to download the drivers then save the drivers to a USB stick, and load them from the USB stick to the computer

#11 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

What I have learned to do is to put all drivers I download on a CD for future use if I have to reinstall Windows. That way I have them and can install them offline if internet isn't available. That has saved my behind more than once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users