Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Windows10 switches control of ips established by OPERA to WA.exe after quit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 3dholly-windows

3dholly-windows

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

Look at my photo evidence. WA.exe is worms armageddon (a 2d game), it has nothing to do with like akamai (microsoft) yahoo or opera ips yet; NETSTAT shows WA has control of those ips simply because I closed opera and they were switched over.

Is this really a bug? it happens on win7 and 10 but on 10 I think and not sure it goes to [system] this is dangerous cause if is really switching to wa then my game is uploading my game data to microsoft! and yahoo! and that's not private cause it can happen with other things too.

So I need you to tell me how to find a way to confirm that WA has control of those ips

and demostrate this bug with more sensible apps once the error can be replicated..

alright thanks.

Attached Files

• Attached File  wa.jpg   113.23KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 3dholly-windows

3dholly-windows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:11 AM

can someone help please.

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

That shows wa.exe only being involved with two connections, both to "wormnet.team17.com." One of those connection is open, the other partially established (in the process of being connected?, or a partially negotiated connection). 

In short wa.exe is phoning home. Whether that is expected or not (legit multiplayer gaming? or privacy invasion?), I'll have to leave for you to decide - I don't know WA.

wa.exe is not listed as being associated with any other of the listed connections.

Netstat reports things at the level of the network stacks (then, if you ask it nicely, tries to match its connections back to a process id). Even if a bug/random occurrence caused it to misreport that association, the second process would not have the 'handle' to the connection and could not execute calls against it. 

x64

Edited by x64, 19 August 2017 - 12:57 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:13 AM

Further, Akamai does not specifically relate to Microsoft. Akamai is a content delivery service used by many many companies to deliver faster server access:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies

"akamaihd.net, a content-delivery network used by companies like Ubisoft, Twitter and Facebook to speed up their services"

"Worms Armageddon is a strategy game developed by UK-based company, Team17

Publishers: MicroProse, Sold-Out Software, Green Pepper, Ubisoft, TryMedia"

http://worms2d.info/Worms_Armageddon

Edited by Platypus, 19 August 2017 - 02:15 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users