Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a custom PC built, but are these parts good?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:10 AM

As my title suggests i'll be getting a custom computer build by a company and i was just wondering how good this will be as a gaming machine. Here are the parts:

Cougar Panzer Midi-Tower Gaming Case - Black Window Intel I7 7700K Kaby lake Quad Core 4.2Ghz Turbo Clock 4.5Ghz Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-GAMING 7 - Socket 1151 Intel Z270 DDR4 S-ATA 600 ATX RGB LED

Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000mhz Memory

EVGA Bronze 600W BQ Power Supply Semi Modular 80 Plus Bronze

Standard Intel Heatsink And Cooling Fan

I already have a 2TB HDD and an average AMD 2GB graphics card, but soon i'll be buying more fans and a 1070 graphics card.

Thank you in advance for the replies/opinions.

Also, i'll be playing modern games like GTA 5 and old ones like Left For Dead (But i know this PC can handle older titles lol)

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2017 - 06:11 AM.
Moved from System Building to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:43 AM

Yes it's a base for a powerful gaming system, I'm sure you've looked up the specs and know that already.  I would definitely recommend upgrading the cooling.  The stock Intel cooler is fine for a lower end dual core Pentium, but for an i7-7770K I think it's not ideal.  Besides, they don't supply a box cooler with that CPU as they expect most customers to opt for something better.  Do they have an option to upgrade to a more substantial air cooler or AIO liquid setup?

I kind of imagine the response you're going to get apart from that is "get a Ryzen" :D  There is something to be said for that as you can get an 8 core/16 thread Ryzen 7 CPU for basically the same money as the i7-7700K.  The i7 is still a good processor, tends to still outperform Ryzen's in gaming benchmarks, and will easily handle current games. In future if games start really using more than 4 cores, that could change.  Something to think about.

#3 MeanMachinePC

MeanMachinePC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:18 AM

Everything there looks good except the video card..  Unfortunately, you are going to have a severe bottleneck until you get the new video card.  I have some advice that comes from 15 years of custom building.  Skip the i7 and get an i5.  You won't notice much difference.  That will save you $100 to either add to the video card fund, buy you a 250-500 GB SSD which your system doesn't have at all, buy a cooler (like the above poster mentioned) or buy faster memory.  Personally, I'd go the SSD.  Performance gained for the money spent can't be beat.

Edited by MeanMachinePC, 10 August 2017 - 01:28 AM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:30 AM

I kind of imagine the response you're going to get apart from that is "get a Ryzen" :D  There is something to be said for that as you can get an 8 core/16 thread Ryzen 7 CPU for basically the same money as the i7-7700K.  The i7 is still a good processor, tends to still outperform Ryzen's in gaming benchmarks, and will easily handle current games. In future if games start really using more than 4 cores, that could change.  Something to think about.

Something to think about really. There is no point buying quad core CPU for future gaming any more. 2015 game Witcher 3 loads 7700K around 90% so there is almost nothing left on 7700K then. Also Ryzen runs much cooler, AM4 platform is better than LGA1151 and while LGA1151 offers no upgrade paths, AM4 should support at least Ryzen 2. Additionally 7700K stock cooler is total crap.

So it's hard to see any reasons why i7-7700K would be good buy except if one wants 500 FPS on low res games.

Everything there looks good except the video card..  Unfortunately, you are going to have a severe bottleneck until you get the new video card.  I have some advice that comes from 15 years of custom building.  Skip the i7 and get an i5.  You won't notice much difference.  That will save you $100 to either add to the video card fund, buy you a 250-500 GB SSD which your system doesn't have at all, buy a cooler (like the above poster mentioned) or buy faster memory.  Personally, I'd go the SSD.  Performance gained for the money spent can't be beat.

While there is at least some reasons to get i7-7700K, there are no valid reasons to get any i5 over Ryzen. So better to invest on Ryzen instead i5 if wanting to invest on better GPU.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 10 August 2017 - 06:31 AM.

#5 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:55 PM

I won't be buying GTA 5 for a while, so that awful 2GB AMD card will suit me just fine for older games like L4D and GTA titles from many moons ago lol. The cooler master hyper tx3 evo i'd be using as a cooler, because they only offer water cooled solutions and i don't want water in my computer by electrical items lol. I am a console gamer at heart, but i really enjoy playing old titles on my PC like the games i've mentioned above, so i haven't had a PC for a while to play them. So if the time comes when i need to upgrade my chip, i'll happily do it then lol.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:31 AM

Something to think about really. There is no point buying quad core CPU for future gaming any more. 2015 game Witcher 3 loads 7700K around 90% so there is almost nothing left on 7700K then. Also Ryzen runs much cooler, AM4 platform is better than LGA1151 and while LGA1151 offers no upgrade paths, AM4 should support at least Ryzen 2. Additionally 7700K stock cooler is total crap.So it's hard to see any reasons why i7-7700K would be good buy except if one wants 500 FPS on low res games.​

7700k does not come with a cooler nor did the 6700k. 4790k did though. 

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

Something to think about really. There is no point buying quad core CPU for future gaming any more. 2015 game Witcher 3 loads 7700K around 90% so there is almost nothing left on 7700K then. Also Ryzen runs much cooler, AM4 platform is better than LGA1151 and while LGA1151 offers no upgrade paths, AM4 should support at least Ryzen 2. Additionally 7700K stock cooler is total crap.So it's hard to see any reasons why i7-7700K would be good buy except if one wants 500 FPS on low res games.​

7700k does not come with a cooler nor did the 6700k. 4790k did though.

First post says: Standard Intel Heatsink And Cooling Fan

So that's probably stock cooler from some other CPU. Anyway if cooler exact model is not specified, it's most probably something very cheap and bad.

#8 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:31 AM

You said the 7700k stock cooler is crap. That post means that you think that a 7700k comes with a cooler. Perhaps you have not built with a 7700k I understand that. No worries.

Edited by Zone_86, 12 August 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#9 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:48 AM

I do agree though any Intel cooler has to be super cheap and bad and completely unacceptable.  :thumbup2:

Edited by Zone_86, 12 August 2017 - 01:50 AM.

#10 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:33 AM

More important things came up, so i had to delay buying it and now that case i mentioned has gone.

Corsair Graphite Series 780T Black Full Tower ATX Gaming PC Case

Is that any good? Thanks

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:05 AM

Quite expensive IMO but overall OK case.

#12 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:36 AM

Indeed, but the company who will make it for me are messing around with their website and parts. They took away the small case i wanted, then after 5 minutes of it being put back there again it vanished again, but the same thing applied to the I-7K chip as well lol. I might get the big version of the Cougar Panzer case as it's 50 pounds cheaper i think.

#13 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:28 PM

They had one left in stock (Cougar Panzer) so i completed the order for my PC and i am very happy lol. Thanks for the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users